Sunday, April 30, 2006

Mayday, Mayday!

Happy May Day! May, IMHO, is the best month of the year. Although I've many reasons to support my opinion, I doubt it necessary to spell them out. It is sufficient that my opinion is shared by some of my favourite people. You know who you are. Essentially, May is the gateway to summer.

I said goodbye to April 06 last night over dinner with my family at a local restaurant. Afterward, while walking to my street-parked car, I noticed the mountains. It may have been the setting sun - at 8:30pm - or it may have been three glasses of wine, or it may have been a simple one-off, but I actually thought to myself, "the mountains are beautiful."



I never think "the mountains are beautiful." Generally, I feel fenced in by the mountains. They close off the view to the east coast as well as the view to the west coast. But while the moutains generally make me anxious (to escape them for the ocean), many (most?) Utah residents celebrate them. In this particular instance, on this particular evening, I understood some of their appeal. They are majestic and picturesque and this picture certainly doesn't do them justice. But the thought caught me unsuspecting and off-guard. It was a silly thought anyway.

A more substantive thought: three glasses of wine on a Friday or Saturday night is never enough (a mere start, if you will), while three glasses of wine on a Sunday night is far too many. I blame Monday morning. However, when Monday morning is happens to be May 1, well, bienvenido! (A shout out to those celebrating immigration reform and observing the "brown out." Tanning salons, I'm sure, are still open - show your support!)

4 Comments:

At 01 May, 2006 08:59, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't like the mountains. They're in the way, they take forever to drive through (if you're going to Evanston for a keg - not that I've ever done it) and they promote outdoor activities other than laying in the sun. I think they're overrated.

After much trial and error, I've established a two-drink limit on "school" nights. That third one always seems like a good idea but in the end screws me.

 
At 01 May, 2006 10:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even before leaving Utah, I thought the mountains were lovely. Now, when I see them from the plane, I know I'm home.
It's a peaceful, easy feeling.

As for Sopranos, I want AJ (the character) to die. Is that wrong?

 
At 01 May, 2006 12:05, Blogger Unknown said...

I was kind of hoping he'd kick the bucket in the men's room last night.

 
At 01 May, 2006 13:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Utah mountains seem to give me some sort of comfort too? Although, I am a beach girl born and bred.

The Sopranos was interesting. AJ is an idiot. He could never make it in the mob. Tony should just make him disappear sooner rather than later.

Now, GA was very good last night. I felt like I got what I needed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home