Thursday, November 01, 2007

Out of Sorts

I went to a charity fundraising breakfast this morning. I've had it on my calendar for a couple weeks and was well aware of what time I had to be there (a few minutes before 8:00a.m.), where it would be (hotel downtown), and that I should dress up. I went to bed last night with all of these details firmly in my head.

Nevertheless, I messed up my alarm clock (anyone else ever aim for the "Snooze" button, but actually hit another button, say "white noise", which subsequently prevents the alarm from going off again as intended?). I woke with a start at 7:52a.m. Jumped out of bed and looked in the mirror to see red, puffy eyes, two days of stubble, and hair like Doc Brown's in Back to the Future. So here's what I did: Rohto for the red eyes (one of my favourite products); Origins "No Puffery" also for the eyes (another great product); dipped my hair in the sink and slicked it back with Ted Baker's fixing wax (this stuff is awesome). I left the stubble (why is stubble so much more acceptable these days?). I threw on a shirt, tie, pants, socks, shoes, and shot of Bond No. 9 "Wall Street". I then raced out of the house in manner of Charles in Four Weddings and A Funeral. I believe my shoes were even untied.

Traffic on 500 South was heavier than I expected and parking was a monumental task. I arrived at the breakfast, oh, 15 minutes late and worried that the law school classmate that invited me and chaired the table was going to be rather upset. I wasn't the only late one, however, and it all worked out.

Except for one thing. I didn't shower this morning.

I can say that in all my post-graduate school years of working, there have been maybe three or four - well, maybe half a dozen - times that I have been so pressed for time in the morning that I had to skip the morning shower. And every time that happens, I am just off for the whole day. That morning shower - Monday through Friday* - is the actual start of my day. That, more than say, coffee or cereal, is the official kick-off for my day. And if I miss kick-off, the day is off to a losing start and I have a very hard time turning it around.

So, I'm out of sorts today and contemplating a return home at lunch to shower.

Today's Song: Broken Heart, Motion City Soundtrack (my heart though is actually just fine)

*I am compelled to specify Monday through Friday because there have been times, generally in the summer and generally when I'm in, like, maybe Las Vegas, that I can go two or three days without actually showering. And certain people, like, maybe B-Lo and Susie, take great pleasure in pointing that out whenever they can. So I am beating them to the punch here and stating that sometimes showers are optional on weekends and vacations - especially when you spend most of that weekend or vacation in water anyway.

1 Comments:

At 01 November, 2007 13:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I point it out it's only to assuage my own guilt at not showering on weekends. Trust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home