Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I Skiied.

I learned to ski when I was really young. My grandpa was a ski instructor at Solitude ski resort and I went skiing with him all the time. When I was in elementary school, my parents would drop me off at my grandparents on Friday night. My grandma and I would chew Hubba Bubba and blow bubbles while watching Friday night television, e.g. Dallas. The next morning, I'd ride with my grandpa up to the ski resort. We always listened to NPR and he'd ask what I was learning in school. I'm sure I always gave the same answer: "Nothing." Once at the resort, I would get my ski pass and my grandpa would take off for instructor "line-up." He'd usually have to teach in the mornings and so I'd go off and ski on my own until lunch. Then we'd meet for lunch and if he didn't have lessons in the afternoon, I'd ski with him and all of the other ski instructors, including my uncle Brian. So as you can imagine, I thought I was really something on the ski slope. After a day of skiing, I'd go with my grandpa and the other ski instructors to Houlihan's Bar for apres ski. At 10 or 11 I was too young to be in the bar, but my grandpa would just tell the staff I was a midget and I'd have to sit in between the biggest people and kind of crouch down. (How awesome is that?!) This carried on pretty much through junior high. Once I hit high school, I grew out of my equipment, got involved in high school activities, and didn't really ski at all. Then I went to college and again I didn't ski. When I was in law school, I went skiing probably two or three times, but that's it.

I realized last week that it has probably been 8 years since I've been skiing and I decided to remedy that. I took and inventory and the only ski clothing I didn't have was a pair of ski pants, so I went and bought a cheap pair at the sporting goods store. Saturday I got up, outfitted myself in ski gear, went to Tulie for coffee and a croissant, and then drove up to Solitude.

I was incredibly nervous. Seriously, I wasn't sure what would happen to me on the mountain. I had visions of me being carried down on a sled by ski patrol with a blown out knee. I kept repeating to myself: "Don't cross your tips, don't cross your tips, don't cross your tips." I also assured myself that there was no shame in the snow plow and no reason to race down the mountain. Still, I was nervous and expected to spend most of the day on the "bunny hill" or using the tow rope.

I got on the lift and was immediately taken back to 1985. Although the resort has changed quite a bit, the mountain and the runs are still very much the same. That put me at ease. What wasn't the same were the lifts: they are so fast! And there is no waiting in line to get on them. I was amazed.

My first run went well and my confidence returned. I started with green, cautiously moved up to blue, transitioned into black, and then foolishly found myself in the backcountry negotiating a double black diamond. Fortunately, I didn't pursue one particular ski trail beyond the red rope marked with a sign stating "expert only".

The whole day was like a time warp. Because I hadn't skiied in so long, it was like reconnecting with a much younger me and so many memories came back to me. Memories of my 80s self, such as:

1. I wouldn't wear a hat because it messed up my hair.
2. I hated ski pants and preferred to ski in jeans.
3. I didn't like wearing sunblock because I wanted a skiiers tan in winter.
4. I wouldn't wear sunglasses or goggles because I hated racoon eyes.
5. I skiied with a huge Sony walkmen with mix tapes of songs recorded off the radio.
6. I ogled other people's Pre skis and lamented my Rossignols.
7. I kept all my ski passes on my coat showing how many times I'd skied that season.
8. I looked forward to Spring because 80s girls/women really would ski in bikini tops.
9. Getting french fries at the restaurant at lunch - as opposed to just eating a brown bag lunch - was like hitting a jackpot.
10. Finding ski jumps hidden on runs.
11. I hated having to yell "single" in the ski lift line so that you could get further ahead in the line. (I was so, so glad that the lift lines don't work like that anymore.)
12. I hated having to ride on the lift with strangers and make small talk. (Actually, that's not 80s self that's just self.)

I'm looking forward to going skiing again this weekend. My only regret is that I didn't buy the nicer, more expensive ski pants I had my eye on.


View from Sunrise lift - my favourite lift.


View from top of Moonbeam.

Today's Song: Sussudio, Phil Collins

1 Comments:

At 03 February, 2009 15:24, Blogger Ms. Salti said...

Good for you! I've lived here my whole life and never learned!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home