Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Some Shakins

There should no confusion with respect to the fact that I am enthralled by the Beckhams as much as the average British person and much more than the average American, but I am not thrilled with all the American media coverage of the Beckhams. It's as though a Tesco opened up in the Avenues and it is fully stocked with McCools Salt and Vin crisps, Roundtree Fruit Pastilles, Haribo Tangfastics, Highland Spring water, Coca Cola Light, McVities biscuits, and the like. Somehow, it just wouldn't be special anymore.

At least Jordan and Peter aren't as popular here as there - and never will be.

I am going to see Morrissey in concert tonight. I remember my friends listening to the Smiths in junior high and high school, but I was a little more mainstream and was probably more tuned into, say, Hot 94.9 as opposed to KJQ and Radio From Hell. In the intervening years I've become much more familiar with The Smiths and Morrissey and I count myself as a fan. But from what I've heard and read, the concert experience is unreal. So I don't know what to expect. I wonder if it will even be crowded - especially after how sparse the crowd was for Pet Shop Boys.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: You know the jewelry washing kiosks at the malls - especially in Las Vegas - that are staffed by over-eager dudes who can spot the brand of watch you are wearing in a split second and then they call out, "HEY! Can I wash your __________ watch for FREE!"? Those guys? LET THEM! I am not kidding. I finally gave into them the last time I was in Las Vegas and my watch is still shining bright. I may even look into buying their product next time I am there.

Today's Song: This Charming Man, The Smiths

1 Comments:

At 08 May, 2007 13:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the week after you saw the Pet Shop Boys, they turned up on Dancing with the Stars. I doubt Morrissey is in for that kind of ride. It just wouldn't be allowed. I think I'd cry if I saw him-Beatlemaina style hysterics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home