Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Attitude Check . . .

how do you feel? Well, let's see:

I'm in SLC and not Seattle.

I went to Starbucks this morning and the board said "PUMPKIN LATTES ARE BACK!"

School started today.

The first has little or nothing to do with summer, but the last two are pretty much the death knell to summer. So drrrrr.

Some thoughts:

In this day and age of Google, blogs, and just pretty much the wide world of web in general, are we really to believe that "real people" "real readers" actually do write into magazines with questions about sex, beauty, finances, fashion, etc. Come. On. Who is going to write into, say, Esquire and ask, "Is my belt supposed to match my shoes, or more specifically, can I wear a brown belt with cordovan shoes?" or, shout out to Stella and "Beauty Buzz," "How do you do a 'smoky eye'?" and then sit around indefinitely hoping to be featured/answered in print? I think the editors and writers sit around in issue meetings and talk about what they want to write and then write the questions themselves so they can answer themselves, e.g. "I'm going to graduate from MBA school next month and want to know which briefcase will make me stand out, but not set me back too far in the wallet? Preston J., St. Paul, MN." I want someone to do an expose on that. Actually, I probably will. I know how to Google. You don't believe me? You don't think I can Google? Well, just ask me how fast I can figure out what medication is a round, mint green colored pill with a number 9 on it. Don't ask, I'll tell you. Fast.

Next, who do magazines cater more to - the reader or the advertisers? It's got to be one of those ridiculous chicken and egg situations, right? But then I think, no. To get a magazine started, you start with advertisers and then you try for the readers. So I think the advertisers win. And that's why I have a love/hate relationship with them.

Happy Birthday Ava! Today you turned 84 months old . . . and started second grade. In what looks like extraordinarily high heels. It's unfortunate the public school system is failing you by not offering "fashion styling," "expert eyes," "creative hair techniques," and "advanced MySpace page design" as part of the standard or even elective curiculum (I looked up the spelling on that). Nevertheless, you're doing okay developing those talents on your own.

I tried to style my hair today like a model's in a current Dolce & Gabbana ad. My secretary was taken aback: "You look so sparkling today. Really jazzy. You're going to turn alot of heads. Are you going to a wedding?" The kicker: we don't really talk to each other very often.

Today's Song: Is It Any Wonder, Keane (And actually a song from the movie Once played on my iPod this morning and I really, really liked it.)

4 Comments:

At 29 August, 2007 10:45, Blogger Unknown said...

Amen.

Pumpking flavored ANYTHING is foul and wrong.

I've often wondered what kind of lame-o would write to a magazine with a make-up question, a relationship question or wondering "what kind of jacket can I wear while pregnant but won't make me look fat post-pregnancy". Seriously. And while I'm ranting (on your blog, sorry) about magazines, no more than two smelly perfume ads per issue, please. My apartment smells like the perfume counter at Macy's. Ka-ka.

I love the D&G ads...solely for the nearly naked men.

 
At 29 August, 2007 11:00, Blogger h.justin said...

Lemme clarify: This was a SUITS ad.

 
At 29 August, 2007 11:27, Blogger stella said...

Oh, believe me. I am impressed with your Google skills. You determined in 5 minutes what Poison Control and the emergency room couldn't figure out in 3 hours.

 
At 29 August, 2007 11:53, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, well, they're still hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home