Friday, August 31, 2007

Heck is a Place

for people who don't belive in gosh. (Reader's Digest - I was at the podiatrist yesterday.) Foot is much improved and I was able to get back to the gym last night. I gained at least two pounds not being able to be really active on my feet since July 19. Amazing how easy it is to drop working out and how hard it is to get back into that routine. Everyone's favourite topic, right? I'll stop.

Big Love here for Big Love. I didn't watch this show beyond the first one or two episodes because . . . I don't know, the parallels to life in Utah were just too much. But lately I've read much buzz about the second season. And since I have HBO and might as well take advantage of the money I'm spending for it, I decided to watch season 2 OnDemand. I'm popping these episodes like Chewy Spree, Shocktarts, and Sour Skittles. It's so good. I'm telling everyone to check it out. B-Lo is hesitant because "Chloe Sevigny scares the shit out of [her]."

I can't believe it's the 10th Anniversary of Princess Diana's death. I was at the Nickelodeon at University Park Hotel when I learned of the crash and was later in Wendover when I learned of her death. It was the weekend before I started law school. On the fifth anniversary of her death, I was in Paris and actually went to the tunnel. Candles and flowers everywhere. (I actually was in Paris at that time because two weeks before I had been to my 10 year high school reunion. So many people were married with children and envious of the still single people because of their freedom to do whatever they wanted - be it travel or carry Prada tote bags, right Ali? So I decided to take advantage of my freedom and I booked a ticket to Paris shortly after the reunion. Went by myself. Had a super romantic time.) And now I can't believe its been ten years. Still so sad. When I was in London this past October, I went running in Hyde Park and her picture was on signs throughout the park due to a Diana related exhibit at Kensington Palace. I swear she was whispering to me as I ran. But that may have just been a combination of jet lag and hangover.

Driving yesterday I heard a Rhiannon song on the radio. And because she's so young, I wondered if she graduated high school. "Probably just got her GED," I thought. Then I asked myself why I didn't just get a GED and leave high school early. "Um, you enjoyed high school and wanted to go to college - not seek out Jay Z and start a hip hop career," I remembered. Coulda woulda shoulda.

VanGogh Punch is still cracking me up.

Today's song: A theme from a movie I heard at the doctor's office yesterday, but for the life of me cannot name. It's good though. Has a feeling of Indian Summer to it. In New England. Don't say Peyton Place because I know it isn't that. Nor On Golden Pond. I'll think of it. Edit: Couldn't find it. So An Actor's Life, Dave Grusin (When I worked at Lagoon, this song played every morning on the midway speakers before the park opened. It's the theme from Tootsie. New Hampshire Hornpipe from On Golden Pond also played. Love them both.)
________________________________

ADDENDUM
________________________________

The Top 10 "Most Played Songs on My iPod as recorded by iTunes:

10. Your Love, The Outfield - 53 plays (Am surprised it isn't higher.)
9. February, Dar Williams - 55 plays (Am surprised it isn't lower.)
8. Since You're Gone, The Cars - 55 plays (Don't know who "you" are, but I guess I miss you.)
7. Don't Stop, Brazilian Girls - 57 plays (It's pretty catchy.)
6. Rooftops, Lost Prophets - 59 plays (Last summer's anthem.)
5. A Public Affair, Jessica Simpson - 60 plays (Holy shit. A lesser man wouldn't be so honest.)
4. Too Little, Too Late, JoJo - 60 plays (WTF, Justin! Again, value my honesty.)
3. Give Me The Night, George Benson - 61 plays (Much better.)
2. The Next Best Western, Richard Shindell - 63 plays ("Show a little mercy for a weary sinner, and deliver me, Lord, deliver me to the next Best Western.")
1. My Ever Changing Moods, The Style Council - 67 plays (Certainly fits.)

11 Comments:

At 31 August, 2007 11:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so effin' weird. Who reads this garbage?

 
At 31 August, 2007 11:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delete that jerk's comment. I guess that makes us all weird because we love your blog and can't wait for the next installment. Who says "effin'" anyway.

On to better points, I think I can take some credit for a few of your songs being rated that high. At least 10 of the "Next Best Western" plays were mine.

I was living in London when I heard about Diana's crash. Remember the funeral didn't happen for a couple of weeks? I remember feeling like this dark, sad feeling was lifted from the entire country when she was finally laid to rest. I wonder who would have that strong of effect on the US? Maybe nobody.

 
At 31 August, 2007 11:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love Big Love! I'm so glad someone else I know is finally watching. If Barlow thinks Chloe is scary, wait 'til she meets her BL brother Alby (sp?)He's CREEPY!!

 
At 31 August, 2007 12:26, Blogger stella said...

Not only who says "effin", but who takes the time to type it out phonetically. Anyone posting anoymously shouldn't be scared of the the word, "fucking."

I didn't care for Big Love either last year, and have just caught up the second season. Agreed, Auntie, Alby is much, much creepier.

 
At 31 August, 2007 12:37, Blogger h.justin said...

Et tu, Aunt, et tu Stella. Why is this the first I've heard of your Big Love affinity?

Don't you love the "on-location" scenes? Because it is so obviously California. The trees on the streets kill me. We don't have those here.

And thankfully the show airs in the summer because I could not watch the show during a Utah winter unless it was also winter on the show.

 
At 31 August, 2007 12:58, Blogger stella said...

This is the first time you've heard because I've only watched 3 episodes this season and none last year. I finished the last one today and just decided that I like it. Bill Paxton's wooden delivery aside.

 
At 31 August, 2007 13:08, Blogger h.justin said...

I never really cared for J.Tripplehorne and I think that's part of the reason I stayed away, but it turns out I really like her character in the show. In fact, I like all the wives. Nicolette's story line and background is pretty interesting too. But I'm most fascinated by that Margie.

And the references to "going to the 'U'" kill me. Especially because that ain't the 'U'.

 
At 31 August, 2007 13:32, Blogger Unknown said...

Chloe is my second Arch Nemesis. The first? Scarlet Johansen.

Effin'? Really? Grow a pair.

 
At 31 August, 2007 14:42, Blogger h.justin said...

B-Lo, I read an interesting article in Time last week about why Diana still matters. It talked about how Diana's death and the subsequent mourning of the British marked a very distinct and profound break from their traditional "stiff upper lip-ness" and Victorian tendency to avoid any public display of emotion.

As for who in the US could garner that kind of mourning, Oprah? Jay Leno? David Letterman? Don't think I'm kidding.

 
At 31 August, 2007 14:42, Blogger h.justin said...

slcup: I guess you'll be first in line for Nanny Diaries?

 
At 31 August, 2007 15:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, no. She's just awful. Ugh...I seriously hate her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home