Wednesday, November 28, 2007

UPPING MY GAME

As of late, I've been a little disappointed, I mean bored, with several of the blogs I read. Most importantly, my own. So I'm going to put in a little more effort today by posting TWICE, and this one will include MULTIPLE subjects, and REQUEST READER PARTICIPATION.

Last night I saw No Country for Old Men with B-Lo. She wasn't thrilled with it. Why, you ask? Here is her review: (POSSIBLE SPOILER, but not really)

"As for the movie last night, I got home, walked into my room and fully expected to get shot. It's not that I don't love to see all the Oscar movies, but I just need to see one with a little lightness and uplifting human message. I guess it's just not the year for that. It's not like filmmakers are getting happy ideas in the news or pop culture. This is certainly no country for old men.

I actually really liked the movie last night, but you know me, I always want the person to make off with the money, get the girl, and keep their drugs."

In her defense, the movies she's seen in the last weeks include: Control, American Gangster, Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, The Lives of Others, and No Country for Old Men. Not good selections for a die hard Mandy Moore fan. Stella and Greg, however, love that setlist.

Next subject, In the pre-iPod, pre-internet days, I bought alot of cassette singles. CD singles were too expensive and full albums had too much filler. I sorted through old tapes recently, and here is a selection of some of my cassette singles:

1. If You Go, Jon Secada
2. Dreams, Gabrielle
3. All I Want, Toad the Wet Sprocket
4. Punk Rock Girl, Dead Milkmen
5. Whoomp! There it Is, Tag Team
6. Ya Gotta Be, Des'Ree
7. Macarena, Dunno
8. For Whom The Bell Tolls, Bee Gees
9. Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop), Q Feel
10. Send Me An Angel, Real Life

Am I alone here? Anyone else throw down their $1.99s for cassette singles? SJ?

Next subject, and more reader participation, if a man, say me, were to buy a pair of winter boots, which pair should he buy?

These:


These:


Or these:


Seriously, I want to hear from you. Vote in comments.

12 Comments:

At 28 November, 2007 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote number 2 or 3.

 
At 28 November, 2007 11:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote in favor of 1 and then 2 and against 3.
Barlow's film review made me laugh out loud.
Incidentally, I listened to For Whom the Bell Tolls this very morning.
I really appreciate your blog enthusiasm! today.

 
At 28 November, 2007 12:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just looked again and it seems the pictures are moving around. So my vote is for the traditional ones .. not the one with the buckle. I vote for those because those are the ones I have and I want to be styling!

 
At 28 November, 2007 12:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used to have 'Send Me an Angel' too but that was stolen from you in junior high. I listened to it till college (pt one.)

I like the not furry boots, little to lady-ish.

 
At 28 November, 2007 13:20, Blogger Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I like all three, but the third pair are a bit on the construction worker side.

 
At 28 November, 2007 13:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had Mr. Big "To Be With You." Seriously, I don't feel this cheesy in real life.

I also vote for #2. The fur would be covered by pants, but so warm and soft.

 
At 28 November, 2007 14:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that you should mention Jon Secada and Tree lightings on the same day. It just so happens that Mr. Secada performed at Boston’s Downtown Crossing Macy’s tree lighting last Friday. Someone mentioned to me that he has performed at several tree lightings in the past, as in “Oh yeah, he was at the tree lighting in the Common 3 years ago.” It seems Jon Secada is de rigueur for the holidays. Boot 1 sans fur.

 
At 28 November, 2007 14:20, Blogger Unknown said...

I like boots #1 and #3.

I want to see NCfOM, but like B-lo, I like the cotton candy movies. Maybe that'll be a movie I rent when I'm in a self-loathing state.

 
At 28 November, 2007 16:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for winter boots this year also. I finally gave up. I kept wanting things that wouldn't serve the purpose of being snow-proof. And the snow-proof ones were just ugly.

If your needs are something to wear in slush while going to a movie or out on a saturday, I vote #1. But are they really weatherproof? I don't think you could wear #2 with any slim or straight jeans, but I'm not sure.

#3 would only be appropriate while on a mountain or shoveling snow.

It's very complicated really. You could buy all three and have a need for each pair. Haven't you been wanting #1 for awhile?

 
At 28 November, 2007 16:47, Blogger Georgeory said...

Justin! The first boots are de--licious. No and no on two and three.

I'd say yes to any of the movies on your list. Shamed to say I haven't seen any of them.

I also adore B.Lo's no nonsense reviews. I can picture her flicking a sesame seed as she's speaking.

 
At 28 November, 2007 17:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all of the boots, but think #1 is my favorite.

I too got into the single cassette craze...$1.99 was just too easy to drop. I don't recall which I had except for Lisa Loeb's - Stay (I think that was the name)

 
At 28 November, 2007 20:41, Blogger Lincoln said...

Boots: the first ones.
they're practical yet stylish. i hate the other two...even though the third pair is very similar to a pair i have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home