Friday, February 01, 2008

Maybe a Momma's Boy

Last night I was giddy. And it wasn't because of the Barack/Hillary debate. (Though I did watch it while running at the gym. I now get the allegiance that Barack fosters in people and I was completely impressed by Hillary's polish and regalness - regality? But seriously, when you're running on a treadmill and your mind is racing, it's hard to focus on the intricacies of universal healthcare and immmigraion. It's easier to wonder how many committee meetings were required for Hillary to settle on a brown suit with turquoise jewels and for Barack to opt for a lavender(?!) tie. I'm going to Google the answer to those questions.) Back on topic. I was giddy for the return of Lost. Love. That. Show.

Watching the recap episode (which was so well-written and so well-edited), I stopped and really thought about how great it is that there are such imaginative, creative, grand thinking people out there that they can create a show like this. And then I remembered Brian Vence and a lecture my mother gave me.

I think I was maybe nine or ten. Brian Vence was a boy in our neighborhood and he was proably four years younger than me. I was probably fifth grade, he was likely second. This kid had imagination. He'd show up to the bus stop and claim to be a dinosaur that day. And let me tell you - he was METHOD in his approach. Brando. He was a dinosaur. Raaaaar. The next day he was Spiderman. Another day a traveling salesman. (Okay, I made that one up. I have imagination too!)

Unfortunately, I teased the kid. ("What are you today? har har har) I wasn't alone. He got teased alot. But damn if he didn't keep on imagining and acting and playing. To his credit.

So here's the lecture. I'm sitting with my mom having lunch at Wendy's by the Layton Hills Mall. And I'm telling her about how weird Brian Vance is. She said, "You shouldn't tease that boy. With imagaination like that he may be the next Steven Speilberg or George Lucas." Good advice, right? So last night, I sent an apology out to all the imaginative nerds in the world and thanked them for all of their contributions to my life. Especially the writers and creators of Lost.

In other news, it's Stella's birthday this weekend. How are her friends celebrating? Check it.

Today's Song: Sure Can Start, Two Hours Traffic

1 Comments:

At 28 February, 2008 06:54, Blogger frog said...

I love that. Especially since I'm pretty sure I've turned into one of those nerds. Today I'm a sober alien maid.haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home