Friday, March 28, 2008

So, My Friend Has This Problem:

It's really not me.

My friend VT really likes nice things like handbags and shoes. She's planning a move and is literally cleaning out her closet. She's liquidating Kate Spade and other bags and loads of shoes.

A couple months ago, she listed a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes on eBay. After the auction, the purchaser told VT that if she decided to sell any other shoes, to give the purchaser first right of refusal. VT naturally assumed the purchaser was a woman or at least a man purchasing the shoes for a woman.

Bearing that offer in mind, this week when VT got down to cleaning out her closet, she remembered the prior purchaser, dug out the email address, and sent an e-mail with pictures of shoes she was looking to sell.

This is the unedited, unembellished response she received:

"Please forgive me, I didn't see that the pictures were attached! The Louboutins are lovely. I'd like to make a request, and I understand if you don't care for the offer, in which case i will take your original offer. Would you consider $200 for both shoes, with one picture of each of the shoes on your feet as well? I hope that is not asking too much. Looking forward to your reply.
m."


VT did not immediately respond. Instead her mind flashed to the Sex and the City episode where Charlotte encounters a foot fetish shoe salesman named Buster who offers her free shoes if she will model them for him. While VT was marvelling at the fact that some men may actually exist, she received this response:

"Hello! I do hope I have not done anything to upset you. Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks again. m."

VT asked me for advice on whether she should do it. I said, "I really don't see the big deal about sending out pictures of yourself wearing your shoes, you know?" Nevertheless, she's a little uneasy. I think there are loads of reasons why this purchaser would want a picture. Maybe he or she owns a consignment retail shop and wants to advertise the shoes, but doesn't have an available model? Maybe he or she wants to do an on-line auction but offer the shoes at a higher price and it may help them sell to have the original owner wearing them? See, plenty of innocent reasons.

But, of course, there are the pervy reasons too. I'll let you think of those for yourself (and share them in the comments!).

With that being said, readers, weigh in with your opinions on whether VT should sell the shoes along with pictures of her wearing them or ignore the offer altogether.

Today's Song: I Can't Wait, Nu Shooz

7 Comments:

At 28 March, 2008 08:46, Blogger VT said...

I've since responded that I'm not upset, just pondering the offer(s).
I should have been suspicious when he said in prior emails, "The more worn, the better!" I assumed he was a cobbler of some kind.

 
At 28 March, 2008 09:42, Blogger Unknown said...

I say go for it as there are multiple benefits for you AND M. You'll be alleviating your packing load, you'll make a little dough and you'll have a great story to tell again and again. M will have some beautiful shoes and photos that he can (and probably will) cherish. Again and again.

Now, if he gave an indication that he was going to use said shoes to club baby seals or something, then I'd decline. But that's just me.

 
At 28 March, 2008 14:19, Blogger Pat and Dawn said...

Was the offer with pictures more money than the original offer without pictures? Does it have to be a whole body shot or just your feet? I'd do it with just feet like Urban Princess. But say no if he wants a head shot, too. Also, never ever respond to his emails after the transaction is finished. Fascinating.

 
At 28 March, 2008 17:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He said nothing of how much leg or body needed to be in the picture. I would send him something like knee and below. I would NOT send full body shot. This could cause some serious stalker-like behavior. I would not be suspicious of the email, but since you mentioned in the first comment about the more worn the better, that is creepy. Can't think of any good reason for wanting worn shoes.

 
At 29 March, 2008 07:13, Blogger JimmyG said...

WOW. It is early. I can have no idea what someone would do with pictures of your feet in shoes. I wonder, have you ever been approached to be a foot model?

Seriously, I would STOP and not sell him yours shoes. He will start with a few questions. You will think nothing of them and before you know it you will be selling unmentionables and then modeling naked on the cam he sends you. Not giving him the benefit of the doubt your being GROOMED.

 
At 30 March, 2008 10:06, Blogger Jen and Lydia said...

Ew. Seriously, ew.

But let's talk about the real issue. The Spades and other bags. Colors? Sizes? Really, I'm interested.

 
At 03 April, 2008 18:17, Blogger Vivi said...

That is the funniest story I have heard all week. I personally would take it as a compliment that somebody out there thinks my feet are fetish worthy...as creepy as that sounds. Take the money! Why not make a rotating profit out of it. By new shoes with the money, and after a couple months sell him them with pics, and buy more shoes! i love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home