Thursday, May 15, 2008

Road Trip

You know what makes for a more pleasant work week? A weekday road trip. I had a hearing in St. George (a very quick hearing) early Tuesday morning. That necessitated a drive down on Monday afternoon. In order to make the long drive a little more pleasant, I rented a car. I rented a mid-size with Sirius satellite radio. In doing so, I basically assured myself an upgrade because few mid-size cars have the satellite radio. I picked up the car on Monday and I was upgraded, alright. To a PT Cruiser. No offense to those that do, but I do not like driving PT Cruisers. So I exchanged the car for a Sebring convertible. Quite a nice car - fancy covertible top, leather interior, less than 5k miles. In fact, I'd rented the very car before a few months ago. How could I tell? Well, because all of my Sirius preset stations were still programmed (Coffeehouse, Prime Country, Laugh, 80s, Movin EZ, and 1st Wave). Also, there was a stain on the seatbelt from when I spilled barbecue sauce while eating Wendy's chicken nuggets.

The ride down was nice enough, though not warm enough to drive with the top down. I could have driven to Las Vegas and spent the night or simply stayed in St. George. I opted intead for Mesquite and a night at the Casablanca. A little bit of both worlds: the convenience of St. George but with Las Vegas-style amenities (gaming, resort pool). I spent the night playing slot machines and won enough to justify my purchase of a shirt from the Polo outlet in St. George earlier in the afternoon.

My hearing on Tuesday was done by 10am. I went to WalMart for some sunscreen and other sundries because 10am was too early for lunch at the new In N Out. I got more than I bargained for at Walmart: sunscreen, sunblock, two Coppertone themed towels, a Boston RedSox hat, t-shirts, cold medication, and gum. A $50 Walmart visit. Good thing I had winnings from the night before.

After a quick lunch at In N Out, I headed back to Mesquite to go to the pool. There was something so indulgent about spending a Tuesday at a pool in Mesquite. It was me, some retirees, and a few couples that were likely on a work outing or something. I didn't know how I was going to pull myself away from the pool to get back on the road. It took quite a bit, and that is the point of this post.

The four things that got me back on the road for a four hour drive back to SLC were as follows: (1) a stop at Walmart (again) to buy a Garth Brooks greatest hits 3 cd set; (2) another shirt from the Polo outlet; (3) a top down convertible; and (4) dinner at Pizzeria 712 in Orem.

The downside to a weekday road trip is the fact that you have to cut it short and then by the end of the week you are ready for a weekend road trip to make up for the one you had to cut short days before.

Today's Song: I'm Ready, Jack's Mannequin

Towels:


New CD:


New hat:


Pizzeria 712:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home