Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Working On Your Birthday

is a crime.

But it's not so bad when you celebrated your birthday over the weekend:

Saturday I flew down to Orange County. I went straight to the mall because I had a J.Crew gift card in my wallet from my last birthday and I wanted to use it to buy a pair of shorts. The store didn't have the shorts I wanted in my size. I went to the Gap and used a gift card I got for Christmas to buy a sweatshirt. The sun was out and it was pretty warm so I went to the beach. After the beach, I had dinner at BJ's - a calzone. From there I headed to a little theater directly across from Laguna Beach and saw Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull and What the Hell Happened to Karen Allen. I didn't care for the movie. Sorry.

Sunday morning it was cloudy and cold. So I jumped in the car and drove to San Diego where it was sunny and warm. I wanted to go to Tijuana but wasn't sure whether I needed a passport or not. Not wanting to risk it I made do by going to the swimming pool at the Hotel Del Coronado. And that was an awesome way to spend a Sunday afternoon. When the sun started to set I walked out to the beach with my iPod. Man, was that a pretty sight. The sun on the ocean was lovely, there were brides and grooms having pictures taken, there were Asian tourists doing crazy Asian poses, and there were people swimming in the ocean. Wanting to capture that moment in my memory, I turned off my iPod, reset it, and then turned it back on. I expected it to be just as in tune with the lovely beach scene as I was and randomly pick the perfect song. Hitting shuffle, I hoped for magic. What I got was:

Upside Down, Diana Ross

So I threw my retarded iPod in the ocean. Just kidding. After I hit skip about thirty eight times, it landed on High Life, Counting Crows and redeemed itself. A little bit.

I stayed in San Diego that night. Downtown there was one of those street performers dressed up like a robot that does robot-style dancing for the amusement of passers by. When one passerby attempted to take a picture, the performer hurriedly pulled up a long cardboard sign that completely covered him and read "Pictures $5!" or something like that (I have a picture - I'll post it in a bit). The passerby, a young seemingly fraternity guy, said "And that's why you'll stay homeless bitch!" Yeah, I loved that.

Monday I drove back to the OC, had lunch at Wahoo's, and shopped at South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island.

That's a nice way to celebrate a birthday.

But, you know, there's a better way . . .

And that way is B-Lo's way. Her birthday is on Friday and to celebrate we're flying to NYC so that she can see the Sex and the City movie - on location.

With OC to reflect back on and NYC to look forward to a day at the office isn't so bad after all.

Plus, you know, 9 to 5 is playing at Brewvies tonight. It's like they knew it was my birthday or something.

Today's Song: King for a Day, XTC

6 Comments:

At 28 May, 2008 10:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Sounds like a great vacation but the celebration has just begun.

 
At 28 May, 2008 10:45, Blogger Pat and Dawn said...

Happy Birthday to you! Hope you have a good day. I'm looking forward to the celebration tonight.

 
At 28 May, 2008 11:21, Blogger Georgeory said...

h.birthday, h.justin.

 
At 28 May, 2008 12:46, Blogger VT said...

Happy, happy birthday to both you and B-lo!

 
At 28 May, 2008 14:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great celebration to me. Hope you have had a great birthday!

 
At 28 May, 2008 21:42, Blogger Ryan & Holly Willard said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I totally agree with you about Indian Jones. They tried way to hard and Karen Allen looks horrible! I'm so jealous about your trips. Tell B-lo happy birthday too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home