Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Five

In the 90s, for me, Memorial Day weekend meant a debaucherous trip to Lake Powell. Instead of a traditional Spring formal, my fraternity rented houseboats at Lake Powell and through a huge party. The likes of which I sadly haven't seen since. If this were the Friday morning of Memorial Day weekend in, say, 1995, I would just now be pulling into Bullfrog marina and watching people beer bong. But it isn't 1995, is it. It's 2008 and I'm simply contemplating a visit to Starbucks and a long day at the office.

Anyway, one of the guys took the weekend music very seriously. Every year he would make mix tapes (TAPES) of great music to blare all weekend long. Those tapes were one of my favourite aspects of the entire weekend. They left such a mark on me that I have been searching for some of the songs on those tapes for years. To no avail. Until, as luck would have it, yesterday. I finally found a copy of Frazier Chorus' Dream Kitchen posted on the internet. (Thank you internet!) And that's how I'm kicking off this Friday Five.

Dream Kitchen, Frazier Chorus

Look of Love, ABC (There was an unfortunate "dance off" to this song.)

White Lines, Grandmaster Flash (I went nuts for this when I first heard it.)

She's A Beauty, The Tubes

Kids In America, Kim Wilde

19, Paul Hardcastle (One night, when I was trying to fall asleep and wasn't in the best state of mind, this song came on and scared the shit out of me. It still kind of does.)

Mmmm Bop, Hansen (One year this song got played so much someone through the entire tape in the lake. The only other tape I remember being destroyed had the Macarena on it.)

That's obviously more than five, but it's a holiday weekend and I've got nothing else to post so there you have it.

Enjoy summer's opening weekend everyone. I'm headed to Orange County. Hope for good weather.

3 Comments:

At 23 May, 2008 09:45, Blogger Sara Z. said...

great list

 
At 23 May, 2008 13:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fraternity would choose a spring formal over a trip to lake powell? I think yours got it right.

I liked your St. George roadtrip recap. Sadly, the pictures didn't work for me. I can imagine you buying all that stuff in Wal-mart.

Have a great weekend!

 
At 23 May, 2008 21:45, Blogger Pat and Dawn said...

Yeah, no pictures from St. George from me, either. Can you fix that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home