Friday, October 31, 2008

A Halloween Tale

In the fall of 1993, I was looking forward to an annual fraternity Halloween party. Never a big one for costumes, this year I decided to really go for it. The year before I'd learned that college folk - the Greeks in particular - take the holiday pretty seriously. (In fact, they dress up for everything. Exchanges, formals, Rush, etc.)

So I brainstormed for a costume. And I must have been looking at a magazine or watching television, when an idea came to me. I was going to dress up as this:







I had the elemental pieces for the costume: Calvin Klein jeans, Calvin Klein underwear, and a hat. I even had Calvin Klein colognes, I think - Eternity and Obsession probably. The one thing I did not have: the, um, abs. But because I was planning ahead, I figured I could get that last piece of the costume. I went out and bought, wait for it, Tammy Lynn Webb's Abs of Steel.


I bought the tape in early September, and I honestly did the abdominal workouts at least five times a week, every week, through Halloween. But a week before Halloween, not surprisingly, I did not feel comfortable enough with my progress to actually go through with my costume. I basically chickened out. Instead, I created some Robin the Boy Wonder costume. Which was ultimately more work than the Abs of Steel workouts.


Flash forward to Halloween 2008. Yesterday I found a "work around" for the abdominal problem. And I am finally going to be able to execute my Marky Mark costume. I still have the CK underwear from 1993 (they're not that comfortable and don't get worn very often, i.e. never). However, I didn't not have any Calvin Klein jeans or fragrances. A quick visit to the mall took care of both of those items. (Though I doubt the jeans are necessary. Calvin Klein jeans, that is - I will be wearing pants, of course.) And now, for the first time, in a very long time, I'm excited about a Halloween costume. Even if it is culturally out of date.


Anyway, say "Hi" to your mother. And Happy Halloween.


Today's Song: Good Vibration, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch

3 Comments:

At 31 October, 2008 09:53, Blogger Unknown said...

Um, picture please!

 
At 01 November, 2008 07:28, Blogger Vanessa said...

Great Halloween tale, HJ.

 
At 04 November, 2008 15:52, Blogger Ms. Salti said...

Um, how come I didn't see this outfit on Saturday night? Last time I checked, you were dressed as Angus.... I'm going to upload the pics tonight and I'll send you the link. It was great meeting you at the party!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home