Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Today's post

is simply because I was reading other blogs, lamenting the lack of updates, and then realized you have to give to get. Though, really, I'm not giving that much.

I'd like to give a Lava Hot Springs trip report, but seriously, it would come off as bragging. How can a trip be that fun, you'd ask. Especially if this is a picture of the town's Main Street:



And then I would say things about "blooming where you're planted," and "it's not where you are, it's who you're with" and then I'd post pictures of me drinking with a bison or dancing with underage girls, and you'd have no choice but to believe me.

So instead, today I will do a cooking blog. (Any foodies out there say "Aii Oohhh!")On Monday, I made chicken noodle soup. Because I have a cold. Rather than make my usual chicken noodle soup, I decided to do a "fusion." I added some Thai elements. My recipe went something like one large onion, 5 cans low sodium/no fat chicken broth, five carrots, four celery, juice of two lemons, bay leaf, three clove garlic, Mrs. Dash No Sodium citrus blend seasoning, one package Grandma's old fashioned noodles. The fusion part: I added the juice of one lime, and a seeded, sliced poblano pepper. And I went one step further, I put a few stems of leafy cilantro into the soup after I removed it from the burner and let it infuse the soup for a few minutes and then I pulled it out. I thought it was delicious.

All was not well in the kitchen, however. For quite a while now, I've been pretty certain that my onion chopping skills are sub-par. I'm really just not an efficient onion chopper. I thought about asking someone like my dad or Stella for an onion chopping tutorial, but instead just opted to Google it. "How to chop an onion," I googled. What did I learn? I've been chopping onions all wrong. You don't cut the onion in half horizontally (i.e. separating the stem end from the root end). Instead, you cut the onion in half vertically. Then you peel the two halves and begin your chopping. The onion is easier to handle that way.

Well, easier for some! I chopped the top of my thumb off. Not the whole top. Just a divot. But nevertheless a bonafide kitchen injury. My onion chopping skills are thus still sub-par.

Okay, update your blogs everyone.

Today's Song: Sweetest Girl, Wyclef Jean with Akon and Lil Wayne

5 Comments:

At 06 February, 2008 14:40, Blogger h.justin said...

p.s. I will freak out if anyone suggests that the reason I have a cold is because I walked that Main Street barefoot two nights in a row, and in nothing but a swimsuit on one of those nights. You hear that b-lo? FREAK OUT.

 
At 06 February, 2008 15:11, Blogger stella said...

I think that's an old wives tale--being in the cold gives you a cold. I blame your participation in crock-pot chili cookoff.

 
At 06 February, 2008 16:13, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I update my blog everyday. Maybe not with stories about going home and making sweet, sweet love to my santafesofa, or with ramblings about having SAD, but at least it's something. I'll try.

 
At 06 February, 2008 17:09, Blogger Jen and Lydia said...

Okay, updated.

 
At 06 February, 2008 21:40, Blogger JimmyG said...

Did Jeni want us to know about her blog? I will up date mine tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home