Monday, April 21, 2008

Monday Morning

you sure look fine.

Is it Earth Day? I guess I will recycle something.

Well, I ran the Salt Lake City half marathon on Saturday. Although it wasn't the full marathon, it wasn't the 5k either. Having never run a half marathon before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I learned that it takes quite a bit longer than a 10k. I was glad Stella talked me into participating this year. Because I will hazard a guess that it was more enjoyable on Saturday morning to be running the streets of Salt Lake City rather than driving on them. Traffic must have been awful. I had two goals for this race: (1) finish, i.e. not call a cab to come and pick me up at Starbucks in Sugarhouse; and (2) to finish in less than two hours. I met both goals. I ran with my iPod Shuffle and for purposes of this blog, I decided that I would listent to the Shuffle in "shuffle mode" and under no circumstances would I skip a song. I then kept a record of all the songs I listened to during my run. Here they are - in order from the start of the race to the finish:

4th of July, Aimee Mann
Lil Love, Bone Thugz N Harmony feat Mariah Carey
London Skies, Jamie Cullum
All the Arms Around You, Halloween, Alaska
Pure Shores, All Saints
Ruby, Kaiser Chiefs
Few and Far Between, 10,000 Maniacs
That's the Way it Goes, Jodee Messina
Cigarettes Will Kill You, Ben Lee
Silent All These Years, Tori Amos
Love Will Find A Way, Pablo Cruise
Something Happened On the Way to Heaven, Phil Collins
Worn Me Down, Rachel Yamagata
Animal, Def Leppard
Hands Down, Dashboard Confessional feat. Michael Stipe
Lost in the Supermarket, The Clash
Living On A Prayer, Bon Jovi
Bouncing Off Clouds, Tori Amos
Makes Me Wonder, Maroon 5
Elvis Ain't Dead, Scouting for Girls
SexyBack, Justin Timberlake feat Timbaland
If You Don't, Don't, Jimmy Eat World
Crazy In Love (Beyonce cover), Novi Split
Not Nineteen Forever, The Courteneers
Friends, Bette Midler
Sweetest Girl, Wyclef feat. Akon
Into the Groove, Madonna
Let's Go, Wang Chung
Waiting In Vain, Annie Lennox

I was pretty happy with my Shuffle's selections. And although I wasn't too happy with my actual running time of 1:58, I'm motivated to run another half marathon and hopefully come in under 1:50. That will require some significant, dedicated training.

For the record, my legs are still hurting today.

Today's Song: ABC, Jackson 5 (from my awesome new to me, fully loaded iPod Nano)

4 Comments:

At 21 April, 2008 09:18, Blogger Unknown said...

I applaud you for running the half marathon. I personally don't run because if you run like food you will be food. And I don't want to be food.

Excellent songs.

 
At 21 April, 2008 13:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My legs are also still sore today, probably because I ran the half marathon two minutes faster than you!

 
At 21 April, 2008 13:38, Blogger h.justin said...

As god as my witness, I thought you were behind me after mile 5. My big, fat, two-minute mistake.

 
At 21 April, 2008 17:10, Blogger Lincoln said...

Congrats. You did better in your race than I did in mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home