Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I don't do yardwork.

Well, I haven't done yardwork for many, many years. My friends and family love it, however. (Particularly my uncle Jim.)

A couple years ago Ali gave me a planter box that she'd loaded with flowers and plants. It was a great gift that I enjoyed all summer long. It was almost like a garden. Then, last year, she offered to replant it, but Mrs. Roper planted it instead. A very nice gesture, but I would have preferred Ali's design instead.

This summer I took matters into my own hand. I broke major rule #32, I believe, because I went to Home Depot to buy the flowers. Then I had to go to Smith's and buy dirt. While at Smith's, my sister and brother-in-law were also shopping there. BIL said to sister, "that looks like your brother in the You-Scan checkout." My sister said, "Well, that guy might look like my brother, but it isn't him. That guy is buying dirt." Well it was me, and another rule broken.

Anyway, all my hard work paid off when Ali stopped by to inspect my work and fertilize my floral fauna. She said I did a good job. I thought so too.

Now I just need to buy mini-flamingo, deer and gnome lawn ornaments to complete the arrangement. And I'm tempted to get this too. And since I'm such a gardner - one of these.




And isn't this awesome?

11 Comments:

At 23 May, 2006 10:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous...nice job planting Justin.

 
At 23 May, 2006 10:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

reminds me of the window boxes in London

 
At 23 May, 2006 10:21, Blogger Unknown said...

You bought dirt? You're a brave soul. I tried to have a window box one summer, but the box fell two stories and smashed into a bazillion pieces. So sad.


If by awesome you mean so tacky it's cool, then yes.

 
At 23 May, 2006 10:23, Blogger stella said...

I'm impressed.

I also love the Vegas wall mural. But, $140 for a poster seems excessive. Also, the nerd in me couldn't help but notice the dimensions indicate the size as 8 x 13 inches. I'm sure that must be wrong. We must all learn the difference between ' and '' if we're going to get along in this world.

 
At 23 May, 2006 11:09, Blogger h.justin said...

I love those London window boxes. Especially in late summer.

Hell, the only think I don't love about London is how bloody far away it is (and the exchange rate) (oh, and the whole "work permit" thing).

p.s. I have half a bag of dirt left, if anyone needs it.

 
At 23 May, 2006 11:17, Blogger b-lo said...

Your flowers are adorable.

The little gnomes and plant ornaments reminded me of a plant my mom had in the 70's. It was in a big glass dome hanging in some kind of macramé thing. It had a tiny ceramic deer tucked in among the plants and I was absolutely in love with it. I think I'll email her today and see if she knows of its whereabouts.

 
At 23 May, 2006 12:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-lo I think my grandma had a little terrarium like that too, including the little deer. I loved it! Was the deer unusually dark (for a deer) with white spots?

HJ - I'm sure Jim would love the dirt. You know what he likes to do for fun...work in the yard!

 
At 23 May, 2006 12:49, Blogger b-lo said...

Yes Aunt! I think that was the same deer. I'm guessing it was a church activity to put those terrariums together, much like bunches of fake grapes. Don't you think?

FYI, I just checked and my mom is sure she still has the tiny deer and glass jar somewhere and will seek them out for me. She did however add, "Sorry, the one thing I am unsure about is the macramé holder.” I’m still laughing about that.

 
At 23 May, 2006 13:07, Blogger h.justin said...

At lunch I bought a deer similar to the one you describe aunt and b-lo. Additionally, I bought the chia head at Cabin Fever for a couple dollars cheaper than it's selling for at Urban Outfitters.

What a gripping life I do lead.

 
At 23 May, 2006 13:13, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to have get a chia head this afternoon. They're just too cool not to have. I think it'll look great next to my gnome posse.

 
At 23 May, 2006 19:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not buying what you are selling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home