Friday, May 19, 2006

What About Prom, Blaine?! What About Prom!

Classic Pretty in Pink line.

Last Friday, I read in the newspaper that the Mynt Lounge was hosting an 80's Prom Night on Saturday, May 13. Tickets were $40 per couple, with the proceeds going to charity, and could be purchased at such high-roader establishments as Lunatic Fringe and Bastille. I had to go. The problem was that I had other plans for the weekend. Saturday I spent the day at the Grand America swimming and sunning at the Grand America with family and friends. We later had dinner at the Little America coffee shop. It was a great day. But I still wanted to go to prom. For those that haven't been to the Mynt Lounge there is a description of it here in this City Weekly article.

I had grand visions of Utah's hip club kids turning out in droves for the event. I imagined everyone had been out shopping all day getting the perfect dress together or the awesome suit with skinny tie - trying to find a pair of cat-eye Vuarnet sunglasses to look ultra-cool - and deciding whether it would be worth paying $45 for a pair of checkerboard Vans that are readily available now, but still reek of 80's chic. And the music. I wanted to hear all the great 80's prom songs like If You Leave, If You Were Here, Forever Young, and even Take My Breath Away. I was so bloody optimistic about how awesome that prom was going to be, I couldn't get it out of my mind.

So I begged and pleaded with b-lo to drive me by - just so I could see the magic. I wasn't properly dressed for the event and wasn't sure tickets were still available, so I just wanted to get a glimpse of it. Mainly, I wanted to know that events like this really do happen in SLC and when they do - they go off BIG. Well, b-lo wasn't interested in prom. So I threw a fit. I manipulated. I blackmailed. I extorted. I maimed. Until finally, she caved and agreed to drive me by.

When we got to Mynt, it didn't look good. There was available street parking right in front of the doors. There was no line. There was one lonely, bored door man leaning on his podium. Luckily, b-lo had to wee so I talked her into using the toilet at Mynt. We walked up to the doorman and he said, "Five dollars each." With those three words, I knew that prom was a bust. I told him I didn't have any cash but would add the cover to my drink order inside. He said that was fine. Another bad sign. We went in and my gushing optism was finally crushed by harsh reality. The lounge was dead. I saw only one girl in what could maybe be considered 80's prom wear. Everyone else was in jeans and tees. b-lo hit the toilet and then we quickly left. I could not have been more disappointed. I left thinking, "could've been so beautiful, could've been so right, I'll never hold what could've been on a cold and lonely night."

Where the hell was everyone? If I could get my arse to the prom, why didn't everyone else?!

Anyway, what is everyone's favourite prom song from the 80's? I want to hear from everyone on this. Post up.

9 Comments:

At 19 May, 2006 09:07, Blogger Unknown said...

Luckily, b-lo had to wee
That's high comedy writing right there.

OK, favorite 80s prom songs was a lunch topic a couple days ago (despite the fact that my proms - which I didn't attend - were in the 90s). "Forever Young" is quintessential. The slow version, not the lame remix. "Open Arms" by Journey is a must. The theme from "Ferris Bueller" should be there, too.

 
At 19 May, 2006 10:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so would have gone to prom with you, HJ. I'd have pulled out my West Lake Jr. High promotion blue taffeta (or my wedding dress) for the occassion. You really can't beat Pretty In Pink (Do I O-ffend?) for top prom songs. That said, my personal favorite is "Careless Whispers" not prom, but 7th Grade Halloween Dance--Sigh- ah, sweet youth.

 
At 19 May, 2006 10:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started. This blog brought up memories of aunty and bff making cassette tapes of our all time favorite love songs in the living room of the 1st South house. This was usually on a night where one of us had been upset or hurt by some ass face, and it made us feel better. The albums that come to mind: UB40-Red,Red,Wine, anything by Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince, Bob Marley, Yaz, and of course our favorite crack head, Whitney, who blew everyone out of the water, when it came to awesome love/prom songs of the 80's. I could go on....but you get the picture....!

 
At 19 May, 2006 11:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a hard question!

The answer could really depend on what part of the 80's are you thinking about. Early 80's, you've got the runover disco stuff. You can't forget The Commodaores...Still and Sail On. Even though they were recorded in the late 70's they were still playin' at the proms (and stomps for me!)into the 80's.

Remember The Motel's...Only the Lonely?

What about Anne Murry's classic, Could I Have This Dance.

So many to talk about but not enough time.

 
At 19 May, 2006 16:30, Blogger Sara Z. said...

Oh. man. This is too hard. I am going with high school dances in general, but...for slow songs:
Careless Whisper - Wham!
We Belong - Pat Benatar
Oh! Soap star Jack Wagner's "All I Need" is the song I danced to right before my first boyfriend gave me my first kiss!

For fast dancing in the eighties?
"Footloose." Of course.
But ultimately, it was all about Prince - "Let's Go Crazy" and more. And any good dance featured the B-52's "Rock Lobster," which involved singing along and doing a crazy dance that culminated with everyone writhing on the floor and then popping up maniacally. Which reminds me: "Maniac" from the Flashdance soundtrack.

And I feel like you are going to require me to say "We Built This City."

 
At 19 May, 2006 16:36, Blogger h.justin said...

And how about "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" - so sweet, so slow and then BAM! "When we get there gonna jump in the AIR!!" It gets all fast and you don't know what you are supposed to do. Release bear hug slow dance and fast dance, or just ride it out. I can't believe no one tossed out any Chicago - "You're the Inspiration" "Hard Habit to Break"?

 
At 19 May, 2006 17:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had fantasies of attending the perfect 80's prom recreation. But, after spending 10 minutes at http://www.awesome80sprom.com I just wanted the horrible music turned OFF!

However, if you want to be guaranteed a group of fun-loving 80's fanatics, going to the off-broadway show in NY or Chicago would be your best bet. Show includes cast of characters (such as Asian Exchange Student and The Spaz), before and after dancing, as well as 80's prom favors and pictures.

The audience all dresses up, or at least is encouraged to dress up. I'm sure there are random people there, maybe parents in town visiting their 20-something kids, who didn't know or didn't dare(thankfully) try to dress up.

I would love to see some peg-legged pants.

My song vote is Richard Marx 'Hold On To the Nights'. Ahhhh...Good dance memories.

 
At 22 May, 2006 10:46, Blogger stella said...

"Don't You" (forget about me) by Simple Minds. When Judd Nelson pumped his fingerless leather-studded glove fist in the air, who didn't swoon?

'As you walk on by
Will you call my name
When you walk away?'

 
At 22 May, 2006 21:18, Blogger b-lo said...

In my defense, anyone who has spent any time in Club Mynt, knows what a bust it generally is. In Justin's defense, his enternal optimism keeps him seeking (sometimes even finding) the fun that is to be had in SLC.

As for 80's slow song memories, I remember dancing to Martika's Toy Soldier, OMD's If You Leave, and the love song from St. Elmo's Fire (the lyrical version of course, I love a sentimental lyric.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home