Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Jewish Penicillin

I tried out a new Italian restaurant last night: Ghidottis. b-lo accompanied me. We had an excellent server and he really pushed the chicken noodle soup. Not generally one to fall for "suggestive selling," on this occasion I gave in. And he was right: the soup was excellent. When waiter came to our table to inquire as to whether we were enjoying the soup, "I said, 'It's excellent! My compliments to the Jews in the kitchen.'" He laughed knowingly, however b-lo was mortified. Although Food Network is her preferred television channel, she wasn't aware of the fact that Jewish people are noted for chicken noodle soup. How did I know? Maybe I learned it from Jackie Mason. Anyway, here is proof that I wasn't out of line with my commment:

From Wikipedia:

"The soup is often associated with European Jewish cuisine, in which chicken soup is the basis for several traditional holiday courses, such as chicken soup with matzah balls for Passover. Although poverty was rampant in the shtetl, chicken-raising required little land or financial investment[1]. Every Jewish family would try to acquire at least one chicken in honor of the Shabbat meals, and would try to stretch it as far as it would go. Thus, every part of the chicken was used, leading to the creation of such dishes as p'tcha (chicken feet), pupiks (roasted gizzards), chopped liver (chicken liver), stuffed hezel (chicken neck), and schmaltz and greben (chicken fat and cracklings made from the fat and the skins). Chicken soup also proved to be a "recyclable" dish. Parts of the chicken—especially the breasts, which produce a more delicate flavor during the boiling process—were boiled as chicken soup and then reused afterwards in such dishes as kreplach, knishes, and blintzes. Tortelloni-like Kreplach are traditionally added to the soup on the eve of Yom Kippur. Lokshen (flat egg noodles) are also a favorite Jewish addition to chicken soup. A lesser known garnish is unlaid chicken eggs, removed from the ovaries of a laying chicken. Herbs traditionally served with Jewish chicken soup are parsley and dill.

Chicken soup is sometimes referred to as 'Jewish penicillin'."

4 Comments:

At 23 May, 2006 14:33, Blogger b-lo said...

M-O-R-T-F-I-E-D!

Doesn't the word "Jew" rather than "Jewish" sometimes seem shocking?

As for Jewish Penicillin, once again Justin has proven that his brain is like a library with a book on every single subject. Hey Just, ever consider a Jeopardy audition?

 
At 23 May, 2006 15:04, Blogger h.justin said...

No Jeopardy. Price is Right or the Feud. Or Pyramid. And, of course, Countdown.

 
At 23 May, 2006 15:40, Blogger b-lo said...

Oh yes, The Feud would be great. I can think of a few of your friends that would make a dream team. I saw an old rerun of that the other day. One with Richard Dawson. Remember how he had to kiss all the ladies? Deeesgusting.

 
At 24 May, 2006 05:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the only non-Jewish person in my office. Whenever I am sick, the wife of my boss brings me an enormous container of chicken soup from the local deli. I'm not a huge fan of it (I prefer my own mum's version), but I must say, I think it works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home