Thursday, May 11, 2006

Some Shakins:

I knew it! I feel validated.

Does anyone else still use the "can you pinch an inch" guide to fitness and weight loss? Was it a Special K campaign from the 80's? Marketing genius.

What's the word that describes the situation where the brand name of a product becomes the common name of the product, i.e. tissue/Kleenex, jeans/Levis?

Nornna strikes back. And she explains that she is not cross-eyed, but rather has a "lazy eye."

I'm still thinking about the "you don't get to call me a whore" scene from Greys Anatomy.

When I go to the gym, I can pay 75 cents to park at a meter right outside the gym or park for free in a nearby parking garage. In my head, 75 cents is one spin on a 3 quarter slot machine, a Big Gulp, a pack of ShockTarts (with some change), or a package of Zingers from a vending machine. So when I parking my car, I have to decide if the convenience of parking on the street is worth a slot spin, Big Gulp, ShockTarts, or Twinkie. Last night, I realized that 75 cents will still only get you that slot machine spin. The others are all nearly a dollar now. Shame.

Imagine living your life having never said the words, "shaken not stirred."

10 Comments:

At 11 May, 2006 09:02, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe I'm asking an overly simple question, but you're going to the gym to exercise, right? And you pay to park right in front, rather than exercise a bit more when you park for free around the corner. Um...what am I missing here?

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:06, Blogger h.justin said...

A 5:30p class. To make the class and park for free, I have to leave work a little earlier. That's the missing link.

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:10, Blogger Unknown said...

OK, that sounds better.

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:12, Blogger b-lo said...

Unfortunatley, I know way too much abuot “pinching an inch” but I thought I’d give you some refrence about your marketing product question. That term is sometimes called “genericide." Look up “Genericized trademark” on Wikipedia for a riviting definition.

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:16, Blogger b-lo said...

I just watched Grey's on Tivo last night so that scene is fresh in my head too. I wanted her to tell him that she hadn't slept with the Vet, but in the end, she was a stronger character for not having said anything.

Hey J, does the sun have the same effects as the tanning bed?

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:29, Blogger h.justin said...

b-lo: I'm thinking of a different word. It's an SAT type word, like eponym or malapropism.

As for sun versus bed, I don't know. I would imagine the beds are different because you get higher UV dose in less time. So it's like snorting cocaine (sun) versus mainlining heroin (bed).

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:43, Blogger Unknown said...

That scene from GA is one of my favorites from the show. I think every woman wants to say that to someone that has emotionally gutted them, but few get the chance. If you do, I highly recommend it. It feels great.

 
At 11 May, 2006 09:47, Blogger b-lo said...

Hmm, well Proprietary Eponym is another term for it. What brought this up?

 
At 11 May, 2006 10:14, Blogger SJ said...

This made me laugh out loud today....which is what the doctor ordered. I wish that my everday life involved using the phrase "shaken not stirred." I think it would make for a much more exciting journey....

 
At 11 May, 2006 17:44, Blogger stella said...

There is probably no need to comment at this point, but I remember Coach Deere at Farmington Junior High with a fat caliper and we all had to stand in line in the girls locker room during gym class whilst she "pinched an inch" or more and announce our fat percentage. As I remember it was also not a private session. We all stood in line and saw and heard each other's percentage. I can't even go into all that was wrong with that, let alone the fact that a water-based measurement is more accurate, but that's truly beside the point. Really, isn't junior high difficult enough?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home