Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Some Shakins

For me, nothing announces "the holiday season" is upon us quite like Kay Jeweler ads. I don't think I've seen a Kay Jeweler in Utah.

It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert was on TCM the other night. I watched for a few minutes because I remembered reading an article about the movie and recalled the movie was famous for something to do with undershirts. While watching, I remembered that the movie somehow caused undershirt sales to plummet:

"While shooting the scene where he undresses, Clark Gable had trouble removing his undershirt while keeping his humorous flow going and took too long. As a result the undershirt was abandoned altogether. It then became cool to not wear an undershirt which resulted in a large drop in undershirt sales around the country. In response, underwear manufacturers tried to sue Columbia."

They tried to sue! I need to read more substantive magazine articles.

I'm not a fan of Claudette Colbert.

In 1991, I spent a week living in a hotel in a San Francisco suburb with three friends. Every night I watched a couple hours of Nick at Nite. Shows like, The Dick VanDyke Show, Dobie Gillis, The Patty Duke Show, Bewitched, and the like. At the time those shows were nearing 30 years old. Now, however, Nick at Nite is showing The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Designing Women. Those shows were on prime time in 1991! I have a point in there somewhere, but I'm not quite sure what it is.

Whenever I go to London, I inevitably buy products from Boots the Chemist. And this last visit was no exception. However as soon as I got home, I wished I'd purchased more so as not to run out before my next visit. On a lark, I logged onto eBay to see if any were available. They were, and they have since been delivered to me. Bless the internet.

I take great relief in knowing that we get to put our clocks forward an hour on March 11 this year - 4 weeks earlier than in the past.

I deposed a grumpy old woman yesterday and had to ask her about an accident that occurred on July 21, 1999. She didn't have a clear memory of the day and got hostile with me. "I'd like you to tell me what you were doing NINE YEARS AGO on July 21, 1999!" she hollered. "Well, ma'am - that was seven years ago, not nine, and I guarantee you I was at a pool."

That's all.

Today's Song: Is It Any Wonder, Keane

4 Comments:

At 14 November, 2006 10:39, Blogger Unknown said...

God I love a good smartass remark.

 
At 14 November, 2006 11:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone that knows you would have known you were at the pool.

 
At 16 November, 2006 00:00, Blogger stella said...

Hmmm . . . all very interesting. Especially since it was your first post in, oh, I don't know, SEVEN DAYS. Anyway, I wasn't being trite. I'm most interested in the fact that you don't care for Claudette Colbert.
My mom's favorite "old-timey" actress is Claudette Colbert. So, I rented and watched--by myself, "The Egg and I", when I was 15 and really liked it. Perhaps you haven't given C.C. a chance. Her imdb.com resume is quite impressive. Especially this quote, 'Why do grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? They have the same enemy - the mother.'
I don't know quite what she was referring to, but I am singularly impressed and offended.

 
At 16 November, 2006 08:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Stella. I loved "The Egg and I" and I haven't thought about it in ages! I need to find it on VHS or similar, asap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home