Thursday, August 02, 2007

Dear Internet

we are about to take our relationship to the next level. I'm going to get a little more friendly, a little more personal.

I have an appointment with a podiatrist this afternoon. My foot still hurts. Generally, when I have an ache or pain, I just wait for it to go away and forego medical attention. But I use my feet alot. I like to run, I like to walk really fast, I like to jump, I like to bike, I like to kick. Which may well be the reason my foot hurts in the first place. So this morning as I was getting ready for work, I went to town on my feet. I gave them a SuperDeluxe wash, I scraped them, sanded them, buffed them. I made sure my toenails were perfectly shaped. I put foot lotion on them. Why? Because I want to impress this podiatrist with how well I care for my feet. So that he will reward me with medication for my pain.

As I worked on my feet - with the intention of impressing a podiatrist, I remembered a not too long ago visit with a new general care physician. A woman. I hadn't been to her before, but several of my friends had. My first appointment with her was on a Monday morning. First thing Monday morning. I didn't know what to expect. Before she began her examination, she asked me when I'd had my last physical. I told her I couldn't remember (which was basically a lie because I had never before had a proper physical). She said, "well you're having one now." I then had to drop my pants, turn my head, and cough. Ladies, I know in the scheme of things that is nothing compared to your doctor visits, but it was a pretty big deal for me. But not as big of a deal as the next step in the process. She asked me for a urine sample. I was wholly - WHOLLY - unprepared for that. She gave me a cup and sent me into the restroom. (I can't believe I'm telling this story.) Inside the restroom, I put the sample in the cup as required - but I did not like what I saw. Let's just say a first thing in the morning sample is a lot darker than a later in the day after I've had my many glasses of water sample. There was no way I was turning that in. Thinking quickly, I dumped out half the sample and filled the cup with tap water. I found that to be much more presentable. And I turned that in. Imagine my shock, then, when a week later I was asked to come back in to be tested for lead poisoning. I kid, I kid. The results were fine. So feel free to use that trick when you feel it necessary.

I suppose I just really like to make a good impression on doctors.

And one more thing, I'm going by "Chuh-Chin" now. Beck stopped calling me "dad," took a stab at my name, and ran with it. Milestone.

Today's Song: Cry Love, John Hiatt

3 Comments:

At 02 August, 2007 09:49, Blogger Unknown said...

If only more women took the same effort with their feet.

It feels good to get personal with the internet, doesn't it?

 
At 03 August, 2007 07:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked your story. I'm sure the lab workers knew 1/2 the sample was water, they had to know, right?

I'm not sure what happens in the men's prostate exam, but I'm pretty sure it is worse than the womens, although much shorter. Probably was good you were not expecting it, how would you have cleaned up for that?

 
At 03 August, 2007 08:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the same doctor a few weeks ago. While I was giving my sample I laughed out loud because I remembered your story. I'm sure the nurse thought I was nuts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home