Thursday, September 13, 2007

Yes, It Was Bound to Happen

I've seriously been waiting for this moment. Not anxiously waiting for it. And not looking forward to it. But expecting it. I knew it was on the horizon. It's not the horizon anymore. It's today. It's now.

You know the "oldies" radio station: KODJ - 94.1 - here in the SLC? The station that, say, twenties years ago would play Fats Domino's On Blueberry Hill and Jerry Lee Lewis' Great Balls of Fire? (Yes, Susie, I know twenty years ago 94.1 was KLCY with Tom Bock and they actually played soft rock as opposed to oldies, but that's neither here nor there right now.) And then, maybe ten years ago, the station started playing more 60's and 70's as opposed to 50's and 60's? Well, I've been wondering when the 80's would be considered oldies. Last night, I got my answer:

The oldies station played Footloose! Not This Is It or Your Momma Don't Dance or any of Kenny's older hits, but rather one his seminal, mid-80's, soundtrack hits.

So hits from 1985 now qualify as oldies. Expect Duran Duran to follow the Beatles on 94.1.

Ordinarily, that wouldn't give me too much pause as I don't really feel old. But let me tell you something - you can age overnight.

To wit, at the start of the summer, I started watching the first season of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman! The show aired in, like, 1976, I think. (I may be off by a year or two.) One of the leads in the show is Loretta, a young blonde, skinny, hottie, temptressy, wannabe country singer. She's cute, she's bubbly, she's funny. She's played by actress Mary Kay Place. Good show. Then, mid-summer I start watching season 2 of Big Love. And holy shit there's Mary Kay Place! But now she's playing the polygamist mother of Chloe Sevigny's character. She looks old, frumpy, tired, and nothing like Loretta from MH, MH! That gave me pause. It was as though I watched that woman age 30 years overnight. And I did not like that. Where does the time go, and why does it have to wreak such havoc on us?

I had another flashback moment this week when I went to Rite Aid to get a combination lock. Whilst at RiteAid, I purchased a package of California Fruit flavoured Starburst because it came with a surprise retro-flavor. The retro flavor I got was lime. And I was instantly catapulted back to 1982 and I was going to Bowman's Market to get a pack of Starburst. Back then Starburst came in a white foil wrapper and the flavors were strawberry, orange, lemon, and my favourite lime. A pack cost a quarter with a penny tax, but if you were sweet the cashier wouldn't charge you the penny. I remember being really upset when they replaced lime with cherry. I thought lime was long gone until the other day when I got that sweet retro flavor.

I know my affinity for summer can be taken as read, and you don't need me to constantly remind you of the changing of the seasons, but can I just say that last night I did laundry and almost had a break down thinking it could very well be my last loads of swimsuits, shorts, and polos for the season? TOO SOON! I needed more summer! I did. not. get. enough. Who did? Not to worry, I'll be in California the next two weekends because I am all about Endless Summer.

Today's Song: If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot

3 Comments:

At 13 September, 2007 11:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a Tears for Fears song on KODJ last week, and nearly sat down to write a letter! I'm glad someone is finally addressing this issue.

 
At 13 September, 2007 11:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So now what happens to my beloved 50's and 60's tunes? Do I have to purchase one of those Time-Life sets that are being plugged by Frankie Avalon?

By the way, I picked up some Razzles for you the other day. No, no,no...the gum. Justin!

Love your song choice for the day.

 
At 13 September, 2007 22:13, Blogger Lincoln said...

I have to admit something.
Today...it was a very chilly morning in Bozeman.
I put on my sweater...and walked into the morning coolness.
I liked it.
I'm sort of excited for fall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home