Thursday, November 16, 2006

Misinterpreted Headline

Yahoo! News had this headline on the homepage:

"Turkey Fears New Homegrown Terror Threat"

The article is here.

Now, I thought this headline meant that terrorists were threatening America's turkeys in advance of Thanksgiving. More specifically, I thought that the Department of Homeland Security had uncovered some scheme whereby terrorists had tainted America's turkey supply and come this Thanksgiving there would be a huge wave of deaths due to toxic turkey being consumed. I gave this terror scheme and its ramifications some serious thought (and got a little unnerved) before I decided to read the article.

And the article had nothing to do with turkeys, but rather with Turkey. Turkey the nation.

This happens to me all the time. And is largely why I stick to celebrity news. (Of course the fact that I stick to celebrity news is probably a large reason why I misinterpret headlines. On that note, I am glad that Sharon (Stone) isn't still popping up everyday in Israel related headlines. Sharon this. Sharon that.)

Today's Song: New York State of Mind, Billy Joel

1 Comments:

At 16 November, 2006 15:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. For months I thought it was odd that Sharon Osbourne got more play time than Ozzy. I mean, wasn't her show canceled?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home