Thursday, March 15, 2007

Coming Clean

Two things first: I don't generally read alot of local news (or national for that matter), and I don't consider myself a "foodie."

For years my office subscribed to the Salt Lake Tribune. Until one day, the Deseret News started showing up. I thought it was a mistake, but it turned out the mistake was actually that we had been receiving the Tribune. Our subscription was actually for the Deseret News. For most of my life, I've pretty much ignored the Deseret News and considered the Tribune the only real newspaper in Utah. I liked reading it at the office, but when the Deseret News started showing up, I turned the Tribune on-line. But lately, I've really come to enjoy Deseret News. And one section in particular. The Food section on Wednesdays and Fridays. In fact, I've even cut out a couple recipes and tried them at home. My favourite columnist is Valerie Philips. Yesterday she posted this article, and when I was at the grocery store later that night, I saw asparagus on sale and decided to give this recipe a try. For me, one who tries to keep cooking time and eating time directly proportional, this was quite a step in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I didn't have the recipe in hand or even memorized so I had to kind of try and remember it. I got it rather wrong. First, I didn't add water. Second, I cooked over high heat for way to long. And third, I cooked uncovered which really smoked up the kitchen. Nevertheless, I wasn't too disappointed with the outcome and I recommend the braising vegetable idea.

So, apparently I am a bit of a local news reader and a foodie.

Today's Song: Take It From Me, The Weepies

4 Comments:

At 15 March, 2007 11:00, Blogger Sara Z. said...

Do you get the Sunday D-News? Look this week in the arts section for a feature on yours truly.

 
At 15 March, 2007 11:01, Blogger Sara Z. said...

P.S. - Favorite way to eat asparagus us oven-roasted. Spread on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, roast at high temp until starting to brown.

 
At 15 March, 2007 11:02, Blogger h.justin said...

I'll be in Spokane this weekend so hopefully I, and your other fans, can view your ANTM spread at www.desnews.com.

 
At 15 March, 2007 22:39, Blogger Lincoln said...

For years, my parents got both the Tribune and Deseret News (when it was an evening paper). I loved it. I may have been drawn to it simply because it came in the afternoon, but hey...I still loved it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home