Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Some Shakins

After hearing (reading) much buzz about Grey Gardens, I set my DVR to record the documentary on the Sundance Channel. I watched it last night. It was interesting, but not exactly gripping (IMHO). Little Edie reminded me alot of my friend Ava. Both like to dress up in fancy outfits designed by themselves, wear alot of makeup, dance around the house, and discuss their many talents. Ava is 6 while Little Edie was 56 at the time of filming. The Hamptons looked lovely.

Tom Shane and his Shane Company ads used to be catchy around the mid to late '90s. Now, I find them incredibly annoying.

I didn't leave Utah once during the month of February. I cannot remember the last month that I didn't go somewhere outside of Utah for either a weekend trip, long trip, or quick work trip. I am heading to California this weekend (Hollywood and OC), and Tacoma the following weekend for the NCAA tournament. So I guess that cancels out February's disappointment.

Question for readers: what is the concensus on the "calories burned" meter on machines at the gym? I know it's an approximate and not exactly reliable, but does is err on the side of more burned or less burned? That's the burning question.

I listened, really listened, to Tina Turner's song Typical Male yesterday. The lyrics were terribly brilliant and struck oh so close to home. In fact, I truly felt she was singing to me. The lyrics are here, and Tina you can reach me via the comments here. I think this is very likely the only song out there where a woman sings about trying to seduce her lawyer. Okay so I was going to link to the lyrics, but they are just so excellent that they must be posted:

Tell me lawyer what to do
I think Im falling in love with you
Defend me from the way I feel
Wont you give me some advice
On how to handle my private life
Im sure we can make a deal
I confess Im a fool for men with a clever mind
But your intellect aint no match with this heart of mine
All I want is a little reaction
Just enough to tip the scales
Im just using my female attraction
On a typical male, on a typical male
Your sense of justice Ill embrace
But your defence dont help my case
Im deep in trouble with the law
Something about authority
Seems to bring out the bad in me
Hey lawyer gotta catch me when I fall
Oh they say that you match your wits with the best of them
But I know when Im close youre just like the rest of them
All I want is a little reaction
Just enough to tip the scales
Im just using my female attraction
On a typical male, on a typical male
So put your books aside
Loosen off the suit and tie
Gotta open up your heart and let me in
Open up your heart and let me in

Brilliant. My clients often sing to me. But never with such desire and unabashed enthusiasm. I bet alot of lawyers in the 80's requested this song at the dance clubs. It was probably nice to have a song that really celebrated their value and sex appeal. And with such a nice beat.

Today's Song: Grey Gardens, Rufus Wainwright

7 Comments:

At 07 March, 2007 10:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? You and March Madness? I'm confused!

 
At 07 March, 2007 11:03, Blogger h.justin said...

Your confusion is, I suppose, well founded. My "March Madness" generally centers around trying to get out of Utah to find the sun. In this instance, I am going to Tacoma for a couple rounds of the NCAA Tournament. Why, what, how - you ask. Well two words: Free. Trip. So that's two of my favourite words. The most favourite being "trip" and the second favourite being "free" particularly when it is paired with the former. I don't know all the details of the trip, hence I haven't posted about it yet.

 
At 07 March, 2007 14:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You talking about a couple of rounds of the tournament, still confusing! Free trip or not, HJ does not usually equal NCAA!

 
At 07 March, 2007 15:34, Blogger b-lo said...

Sorry Justin, 1st round is in Spokane, not Tacoma. Is that good or bad news?

 
At 07 March, 2007 21:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spokane? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. No, I shouldn't say bad things about spokane. Go there knowing it is a small town, have low expectations and you will find some fun things. My parents live there now and I grew up 1 1/2 hours away.

Hopefully the weather is good and you can go for a run around riverfront park and down centennial trail (ali ran the east part of the trail when she was there with me).

They have a metal 'garbage eating goat' in the park and I was just looking at a picture the other day where my husband was showing my neice and nephew you could put garbage up the goat's nostrils and it would still suck it up. A MUST SEE!

Forget good restaurants. Go to Zip's hamburgers and get fry sauce.

If you get bored (you will) drive over to Idaho and go to the boardwalk at the Couer d'Alene resort. Again, better in good weather, but it's something to do.

There is a decent Nordstrom/starbucks/AMC theatre area right in downtown spokane. The locals never go there because you have to pay $1 to park and that is unheard of! There are probably some decent coffee houses due to the seattle influence.

 
At 08 March, 2007 11:32, Blogger h.justin said...

Deanna, I forgot you had ties to Spokane. Thanks for all the tips.

Have you forgotten my one man crusade against mayonnaise? A prime ingredient in fry sauce. I will, however, try Zips' ketchup.

I picture Spokane as being very similar to Boise.

And Susie, I would probably accept a free trip just to see a "metal eating goat" - so get off me about college hoops.

 
At 08 March, 2007 11:33, Blogger h.justin said...

And Deanna - I've wanted to go to Couer d'Alene for years. I saw a photograph of a "floating green" on a Couer d'Alene golf course and was immediately intrigued.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home