Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I Have A Dream

and that dream is to have these in my home.

In all the years I've lived in Salt Lake, I've yet to have my own washer and dryer. In college I drove to my parents home every Sunday and did laundry. That continued after I graduated and went to law school. I had a tremendous fear of public laundromats and never used them. The fear was partly based on a worry that my clothes would actually get clean, partly based on unsavoury characters that hang out at laundromats, and mostly based on theft. You see, when I was in college I was at the Pi Phi house visiting friends around lunch time and two girls came in and announced that their clothes had been stolen out of a washer. Stolen. Out. Of. A. Washer. That freaked me out and kept me out of laundromats for at least 5 or 6 years. No one was going to steal my clothes from a washer or dryer.

My current flat is about two or three doors from a laundromat. When I first moved in, I still generally did my laundry at my parents' house, however I slowly started using the laundromat next door for a quick load here and there. But I eventually realized that a laundromat next door to my place was unquestionably convenient. I could do four or five loads at the same time. That beats devoting an entire Sunday to a laundry. So I weaned myself away from driving to my parents to do laundry and moved exclusively to the laundromat.

The laundromat is not without its problems, however. For example, when you leave money in your jeans and put them in the washer and later the dryer, there is no guarantee that you or someone you trust will find it. So far, I've been lucky. On three occasions (at least three occasions that I know of) I've left money in my pockets and found it after the dry cycle was complete. Once a hundred dollar bill, once a fifty, and once two twenties. Though that good fortune was balanced out though by the time I found dog poop in the washer that I had just washed my clothes in. It wasn't mine - I don't own a dog. So that was rather disgusting, and I really don't like to think about it let alone talk about. Please forget I mentioned it.

Luckily I have yet to have any clothes stolen from a washer or dryer (though a sock or two seem to disappear every once in awhile). But I am still incredibly paranoid about it. Mainly because I don't stick around the laundromat while my clothes are washing or drying. I make certain that I am always there though at least a minute or two before the machine is scheduled to stop. And I am particularly watchful with fellow customers that look like they are about my size or that appear to have a taste for nice things.

I am still not comfortable having strangers watch me fold my underwear and vice versa.

Ah, the glory of urban dwelling.

In other news, Georgeory won a radio station contest yesterday. He won two tickets to the Snow Patrol concert, plus backstage passes, a meet and greet with the band, and new camera to take phtos of the concert from the stage. So hopefully he will post a comment about that.

Today's Song: You're All I Have, Snow Patrol

4 Comments:

At 06 March, 2007 14:01, Blogger h.justin said...

As Nadine Wimmer would say, "Well Greg that's fabulous."

What is the camera they gave you?

What did the band look like? Drunk, bored, disheveled?

Were there snacks?

 
At 06 March, 2007 14:06, Blogger b-lo said...

That's so funny. Because I do contests and things like that for my job I was thinking all last night, "I wonder if they opened and charged the camera. They probably didn't think of that. If they did, he can't return it so they might not have done that. If they didn't, it will have a small charge but probably not much. Did they give him a memory card..."

Sounds like fun though.

Justin, needless to say, I hear you on the laundry. Ugh.

 
At 07 March, 2007 01:04, Blogger Lincoln said...

Um...I don't know who Snow Patrol is. The only related story I have is that I met Shania Twain at a concert in 1996. I'm still a little infatuated with her.

On the topic of laundry, there are machines at my apartment complex. Yet, there are no change machines. So every time I do laundry I am scrounging for quarters. I've even gone as far (several times actually) to look under the machines for coinage.

 
At 07 March, 2007 10:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're always welcom to do laundry at Sister's you know. We ALWAYS have beer, i don't know if that's true with the l-mat. But could not be held responsible for money left in pockets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home