Friday, February 23, 2007

We need the moisture.

60 degrees yesterday and snow today. February is fickle. I hope March is in like a lamb and out like a lamb.

I read in PopCandy about this artist. So I went to his website and ordered a painting. You don't get to pick a particular painting, rather you pick a size and then the artist will send you a painting of that size that he worked on that day. I paid $16 for the painting and $7 for shipping. I planned to give the painting - be it good or not so good - to B-Lo as a housewarming present (she bought an Avenues condominium this month). I placed the order on the 9th and it arrived yesterday. I didn't receive one painting. No, I received 13! And they are all really cool. Check his site out.

The OC finale was interesting. I will miss the music from the show the most. After nearly every episode, I would download the featured songs from iTunes (when possible) or other not so legitimate sources. My iPod is the real victim of the OC's cancellation.

EDIT -- From USA Today:

"In these days of declining MTV exposure for videos and tightly formatted radio stations, getting a song on Grey's Anatomy is one of the priorities for record labels and artists. But before that, the show to be heard on was The OC. And if an act found a responsive ear at The OC, chances are it could do the same at Grey's— they have the same music supervisor, Alexandra Patsavas.

Patsavas saturated The OC with music, reflecting the moods and tastes of all the youthful characters, but mostly those of obsessive indie-pop fan Seth. So you heard hipster favorites such as Imogen Heap, Rogue Wave, Spoon, Jem, Nada Surf and Seth's favorites, Death Cab for Cutie, along with a few more generally popular artists, such as The Killers and Beck."

I did not know that. But it makes sense. I watch Grey's Anatomy largely for the music. I want Patsavas' job!

I met my family for dinner last night at a local country club. Getting ready, I remembered that at one time, denim was generally not allowed at nicer restaurants in general and country clubs in particular. But having read that such hard rules have become more relaxed - probably due to people paying hundreds of dollars for denim these days - I assumed the rule was antiquated and no longer enforced. So I wore jeans. When I got to dinner and met my dad in the parking lot, he looked at me and said that I was going to have a problem. Apparently, the rule is still in place and is still enforced. In fact, as you walk into the club, there is a very large sign - directly in front of the door - that says "Denim is Prohibited!" Prohibited is a strong word. Not "denim is discouraged" or "denim not allowed," but PROHIBITED. Like hard core drugs, felonies, and terrorism. I believe in a more case by case approach. I think some denim pants are far superior to other non-denim pants. And some non-collared shirts are superior to collared shirts. So rules prohibiting all denim and requiring collared shirts for men seem a little silly. But who was I to argue. Fortunately, I had brought a spare pair of non-denim pants just in case, and I changed into those. Crisis averted.

(Man, I am all about the deep stories and observations this week.)

I'm not much for human interest stories. For that reason, I prefer US magazine to People magazine. But, I do love before and after makeover/weight loss stories. The "Half My Size" stories in People magazine are my favourite. They are right up there with the "What People Earn" issues of Parade magazine. I thought about getting one of those Body For Life Challenge posters for my house. You know the posters that have the fat, flabby people pictured before they turned themselves into lean, mean, fit muscle machines. I admire their discipline and dedication. And it is inspiring to see that hard work really does payoff. I love such success stories. (I started typing this as a comment on Slcup's blog, but didn't want to take away from her post. Congratulations to her on her success.)

Today's Song: Swans, Unkle Bob

11 Comments:

At 23 February, 2007 09:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please recheck artist link, although the home is beautiful I'd like to see the painting.

 
At 23 February, 2007 09:56, Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, thanks.

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:01, Blogger h.justin said...

The link is fixed.

Incidentally, the house was the former Kappa Sigma house at the University of Utah.

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:27, Blogger stella said...

Justin, I swear I posted the first comment of the day on this and it has disappeared. It was too long to recreate. Sigh . . .

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:30, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to the artist. I just purchase a large...hope it's as amazing as the stuff on his site. I love his work. Maybe I should do something like that.

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:32, Blogger stella said...

(Look, I'm so smart, I figured out how to retrieve my comment)


Wait, you received 13 paintings for $23?! Or $23 each? Either way, so cool. I can't wait to see them.

I agree about the clothes. Some people can manage to make a pair of khakis and an Oxford look pretty horrid. I love picturing your dad staring at your ensemble and saying, "Justin, we're going to have a problem." Was he horrified? Or amazed when you pulled a spare out of your car?

 
At 23 February, 2007 10:37, Blogger h.justin said...

Stella,

It was my fault it disappeared. I double posted and had to delete the first post and your comment went with it. Sorry. I'm glad you found it though.

The paintings were $23 total not each.

slcup, I'm anxious to see what you receive.

 
At 23 February, 2007 11:46, Blogger b-lo said...

The paintings are really fun, vibrant and unique. When I find the right spot for them, everyone will be invited over for a housewarming. Maybe we should wait for the pool open first, this snow has got to go.

Thanks for the art Justin.

 
At 23 February, 2007 15:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm especially upset that Denham is prohibited. A little personal.

 
At 24 February, 2007 10:13, Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

Yeah, I have that same issue with the dress code at work. I think that me wearing a nice sweater and a new pair of jeans looks much more professional than the guy who showers once a week, and wears an old nasty polyester suit with a stained shirt and clip on tie.

 
At 27 February, 2007 10:53, Blogger h.justin said...

JV - Rather random question, but was your picture taken at the JW Marriott in Orlando? I stayed there a couple years ago and it looks like the lobby in the background.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home