Thursday, November 08, 2007

Copy Cat vol. I

Look, if I am going to do a post every day of this month, I'm going to have to either (a) get creative, or (b) plagiarize. And I choose (b).

Today's post is inspired by a blog I read all the time: DeeDee's.

I remember first flipping through a J.Crew catalog sometime in, probably, 1988. I think Linda Evangelista was modeling in it - if that tells you anything. Anyway, I've been a J.Crew fan for, holy shit, ahem - excuse me - nearly twenty years. I am either THAT OLD or I was just really fashion forward as a tween.

Moving on to the point of the post: I love the J.Crew Christmas catalogs, but the online store is getting better and better. Seriously, check it out right now, right here. Although I preferred the Scotland video they did last month, this month's homepage video is pretty good too. The behind the scenes'ness of it. Damn. I'm still not to the point of this post.

Here we go: Here are some things I really like at J.Crew right now . . .


I had a J Crew peacoat on my Christmas list for a few years running, but some for reason they were always on backorder so I would change my mind in favor of something else. This year, I'm getting a peacoat. The thing is, do I go with the J.Crew version or go with the much, much cheaper Old Navy version. Something to think about.


I love J.Crew's new redesign of the classic Oxford shirt. Their version has a narrower collar and a tighter, trimmer fit. A definite must buy. (Though you really can't go wrong with the $19.50 standard trim fit Oxfords at Land's End.)


I like to get a new sweater for Thanksgiving each year. It's become one of my select traditions. I like the look of this sweater because you could wear it casual or dress it up for work or a party. In fact, it would go nicely with the Oxford above. And to give the look extra pop, I like the idea of this tie:


With faded jeans it would be a sharp casual look for a Friday, but with slacks (what word do you use?) it could almost be slightly formal. This tie though may be one of those J.Crew items that looks awesome in the catalog, but then you actually look at in person and it isn't at all what you thought it would be. In the olden days, before there were actual J.Crew stores where you could go in and look at an item before you bought it, you had to go off pictures in the catalog. All too often the delivered item and the pictured item did not match up. And the merchandise went back to J.Crew in Virginia. (Come on, who remembers those dark days?) With respect to this tie here, if it lived up to expectations, it would be a great Happy New Year! celebration tie. For such an occasion, I see it with a black or dark grey suit and a crisp white shirt. And a microphone, a cover band, a buffet, a martini bar - sorry, tangent.


I've had my eye on this ID bracelet for a few months now. It's another one of those things that I kind of like the idea of, but am not sure it would play out well in practice. People would assume I have high blood pressure, or diabetes, or am allergic to bee stings or some other condition that requires a MedicAlert bracelet.


This item clearly falls into the great idea in theory, but totally worthless in practice category. A key chain flask that holds one ounce. These will surely be flying off the shelves.

Okay, so then tomorrow I will tell you all about football and my fantasy league team.

Today's Song: Cigarettes Will Kill You, Ben Lee; Ride, Cary Brothers (both in concert tonight at In the Venue - should be really, super good - see you there maybe)

5 Comments:

At 09 November, 2007 09:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all old navy outer wear on sale (40% off!) right now, I say do both. Get the color you'll rarely wear now, to hold you over till Christmas, at old navy, then have Santa bring you the nice, everyday wear one!

 
At 09 November, 2007 10:29, Blogger Georgeory said...

Oh, J.Crew memories. I became a fan in about 1991 when I happened upon a catalog in my English class. It was all about Lauren Hutton at that time.

I used to order from the catalog by telephone late at night using my mom's debit card. She'd get so mad at me. I just had to have that light blue gingham shirt, though.

For Susie--be proud of your MTV habits. I am not ashamed.

 
At 09 November, 2007 11:18, Blogger h.justin said...

sister - totally already thought of that. When I saw the "40% off Outerwear" ads last night, I thought to myself, "you better get in and get your size before they sell out." So I did that first thing this morning. $40!

Greg, if I'd have tried a trick like that, I'd have been kicked out to live on my own.

 
At 09 November, 2007 12:00, Blogger Georgeory said...

I did get kicked out--it just took them 16 years to accomplish the task.

I always had the money to pay her back--I guess I didn't realize I could have caused some trouble with her checking account had she not had the funds to float my purchase.

Also, love Ben Lee. Have to consider attending.

 
At 09 November, 2007 12:04, Blogger Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

My husband just got a J Crew pea coat from eBay (brand new) for way cheap. You should check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home