Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Not So Soft Side of KOSY

Who wants to hear about me catching a mouse in my house at 2 a.m.? No one? Alright, I've got another topic. Some of you may have already heard the story on morning radio, but some of you, say maybe Deanna in Chicago, probably haven't. So for those of you, here goes.

Brief background, first: KOSY is a soft rock station in SLC. Very, very soft. Like "Have You Never Been Mellow" "Rainy Days and Mondays" "I Want To Make It With You" and "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" soft. I know! Dream station, right? Well it would be except for there's whole lot of Celine Dion, Elton John ("Circle of Life" as opposed to "Levon" which is a very important distinction), and Gloria Estafan mixed in. So not so dreamy after all. There are two other things KOSY is known for: Showtunes Saturday Night (self-explanatory) and the fact that they start an all Christmas music format every year around, say, Labor Day and it goes through Martin Luther King Day, I think.

So, here is an e-mail that an actual KOSY listener recently sent to the station:

From: ***Redacted***
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:57 PM
To: ***Also Redacted***
Subject: KOSY_FM Site Message from ***Redacted*** visitor

Not only did you get rid of Erica from the morning show and especially
SHOW TUNES SATURDAY NIGHT, but you are playing Christmas music again?
It isn't even Thanksgiving. Can you give us a break?

And why did you get rid of Erica? Have you listed to the person that is
on Show Tunes Saturday Night now? She is boring and plays songs no one
knows.

________________

Okay, so KOSY's PR department, replied to the e-mail as follows:

From: ***PR Guy at Clear Channel Owned KOSY***
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:06 PM
To: ***Redacted Listener name***
Subject: RE: KOSY_FM Site Message from ***Redacted*** visitor

WOW. You wanna back that down a notch? The audience seems to really enjoy the Christmas music. The fact that you are this bitter might keepyou from having a good time but many are delighted that we are playing it. Maybe you've got some idea what we should tell the people that depend on this station doing well to put groceries on the table. 18thplace isn't cutting it and that's where the KOSY morning show was ranked in the ratings. 18th place!!! That's the best thing you have to do on a Tuesday night at 9:00 PM is tee off on someone about the Saturday night show? Great. You don't like the show. What now? Which part of "no one" have you surveyed to see if anyone knows the songs on Saturday night? Yourself? Laura has been an actress for years and a show tunes fan herself for her entire life. Maybe it's not the show for you. We try to deliver something enjoyable. Many like what they hear, if you don't I sincerely hope you find a station you enjoy and I thank you for the time you've spent listening to KOSY.

***REDACTED name of PR GUY***
KOSY 106.5
***Redacted telephone number***

__________________________

Not exactly the response you would have expected from KOSY, right?

Today's Song: Operator (That's Not The Way It Feels), Jim Croce

Story re: today's song. New Year's Eve - 2002, I believe. I'm in San Diego with Jim and Susie. It's January 2. We're due to fly home that day. Jim is never, ever fun on the last day of a trip. He wakes up, and he's already gone to home in his mind. So we sit down to a pre-flight lunch at Croce's - named after famed folk singer, Jim Croce. I say to Susie, "Susie is Jim still alive?" Susie reaches over, pats Jim's hand and says, "Well, he's a little tired but I think he'll make it." Rolling my eyes, I said: "Croce, Susie. JIM CROCE!"

Bah dum bump!

9 Comments:

At 15 November, 2007 10:44, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to agree with the emailer re: Christmas music. Christmas is NOT a two-month holiday. Let's not forget Thanksgiving. The PR response, honestly, is great. I can only imagine how liberating it was to write and send that email. Anyone that deals with the public on a daily basis knows the secret joy of letting someone have it. Not that I have ever done that.

 
At 15 November, 2007 10:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to remember I was not feeling the best. Susie was not feeling the best. To many K39 specials with out the tacos. The the best part is earlier you did not have to go to IKEA.

 
At 15 November, 2007 10:52, Blogger h.justin said...

You're right Jim: The best was that I didn't have to go to Ikea. Should I ever have to toast you, I will certainly mention the story of you faking a nap to get us off Coronado Island and out of a trip to Ikea, and the glorious moment on the ferry when you said no nap was actually planned, but rather a visit to Busters.

 
At 15 November, 2007 11:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, at least you didn't opt for the Coffee with Tequilla.

 
At 15 November, 2007 12:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PR guy had exactly the same response i am going to have with my very last customer if husband gets job in denver and i move. Seven years i've been dying to say stuff like that.

 
At 15 November, 2007 12:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the bullet for all of you, when I could have been having fun...I was nice and went to IKEA, if you recall.

Hello, Amtrak!

 
At 15 November, 2007 13:05, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with Sister. My last day will be full of completely honest answers to ridiculously stupid questions. I can't wait.

 
At 15 November, 2007 17:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt! Remember the "spiders" in the room? And the pants, "They feel good too?"

 
At 16 November, 2007 12:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could I forget...I will have nightmares forever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home