Wednesday, November 14, 2007

So I Love Old Pictures

especially of places I am very familiar with. For example, Salt Lake City, Farmington, Kaysville, etc. Did anyone out there ever see the "Utah in the 50's" series that ran on KUED Channel 7 for a few years? I loved that series. The old pictures and the old-timers talking about shopping at Paris department store and going to concerts at Lagoon and seeing movies at the Orpheum, etc. I went to a fundraiser on Monday night and there was a well-to-do society lady there and yesterday I "googled" her to find out her family history. That led me to this site on the history of Main Street, the rise of the downtown malls, and the decline of Main Street. In addition to some really neat photographs, the site also has a plethora of interesting facts. For example, the K-Mart at Parleys Way was Utah's first K-Mart and it was recently sold to Walmart and Cottonwood Mall opened in 1963 and it was the first mall to open west of the mighty Mississip. My favourite is the picture of a bustling Main Street circa 1950. Now, to see a site like that, you'd have to go to Fashion Place mall on a rainy Saturday. I think that is pretty sad.

I am almost done with season 1 of Tell Me You Love Me. And I pretty sure I knew this before, but I'm more certain of it now: I like my drama series dark. And I think this show is pretty dark. Not dark in the "how is that paraplegic deaf mute ever going to survive the Holocaust" dark, but more dark in the way that it portrays the trials and tribulations of everyday relationships and lets the characters be screwed up. The music though is the highlight for me. At the end of episode 7, Snow Patrol's "You Could be Happy" played and I was so taken aback by the lyrics that I teared up. Seriously, listen to that song and tell me you don't wish that you could end relationships with such sweet words. Like Dr. May Foster says, and I paraphrase here, the ending to a relationship should be treated with just as much gentleness, caring, and respect as any other part of the relationship. Snow Patrol says, "Somehow everything I own smells of you - And for the tiniest moment it's all not true - Do the things that you always wanted to - Without me there to hold you back, don't think, just do - -More than anything I want to see you, girl - Take a glorious bite out of the whole world". How sweet is that? Almost as heart wrenching as Jude's, I Do. (That one gets me teary each time I hear it.)

So those will be today's songs: You Could Be Happy, Snow Patrol and I Do, Jude

(Lyrics to I Do: I got a letter today
An invitation
And the writing looked like you
Hello how are you and by the way
Please RSVP I do
I thought of writing sad words of how it used to be
But I didn't want to bring you down, no
I guess the bells will ring pretty well there without me
Don't worry 'bout me baby I'll wear the thorny crown
I will play the clown
(Chorus)If you think that I don't love you, you're just wrong
And that don't matter now anyway
I couldn't bear to see you up there with a white dress on
Here's my vow to you
I'll stay away
I remember when in a lover's whisper you said
No other man would ever share your bed
Well we both know that's not been so
And I wish I'd never let you go now
You found a better man instead
I wish you health and wealth and a white house on a hill
and I hope you raise a family
Little boy and a little girl, a little more joy in this little old world
Well, that'd be enough for me
(Chorus) Time rolls on
And dreams they die
And I've thrown out the pictures I had of you and I
And if you're ever wondering if love can be true
Well, think of me and remember darling like I, like I do
Old friendships fade away, love falls apart
And you've not spent a single day outside my heart
But, there's just one more dream that I have left for you
I hope you're smiling when he turns around and says I do. . .I do I do I do I do)

And tomorrow - more songs to make you cry . . .

3 Comments:

At 14 November, 2007 10:52, Blogger Unknown said...

I love that Snow Patrol song. I can honestly say that I've never had a break-up that was polite and sweet and honest (in a good way). That song makes me yearn for something I've never had.

 
At 15 November, 2007 08:55, Blogger Todd said...

great post today.

The "remember when" series that ran on KUED was great. It really is too bad that downtown SLC is no longer like that - maybe in a few years when the City Creek Center is finished. Gateway looks a bit like that during the holidays, but not the same.

That song by Jude is wonderful. It was called "Cammie" on his first album and then he changed the name to "I Do" for the next album. By the way - if you like Jude, check out the Low Stars - it is a band that Jude formed with a couple of other guys http://www.lowstars.com/

 
At 15 November, 2007 09:14, Blogger h.justin said...

UP - Someone told me recently that if break-ups were polite and sweet and honest, the break-up probably wouldn't be necessary.

Todd - I'll check out Lowstars. And I'm glad I'm not the only one that watched that KUED show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home