Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Just asking . . .

Short Answer Exam:

(1) This morning I went to Starbucks and ordered a grande drip with extra room. The Barrista was cute and nice: she asked if I preferred to have a grande in a venti cup. I told her I preferred extra room in grande cup. I tendered my $1.83 and she gave me 17 cents change. I kept the change for two reasons: (a) (lesser reason) 17 cents seemed like a lame amount to throw in the tip box; and (b) (major reason) that 17 cents is probably the only coinage I am likely to receive today and I really need it for the parking meter at the gym tonight. And the question: does the barrista think I'm lame for keeping the 17 cents, or does she realize it means more to me than it does her?

(2) My office building has its own parking garage with 8 levels of parking. The parking is always full. One full-time parking attendant works the exit gate. She sits in a little booth and reads. All day long. 95% (I assume) of the parkers have parking cards that when swiped open the parking exit arm. So the attendant can generally sit and read without interruption. But because parkers have to stop and swipe their card near her booth, it is only natural to wave her. I wave every time. So the question: does she like people to wave at her (and interrupt her reading hundreds of times a day) everytime they exit, or would an occasional wave be more in order?

(3) My office building has roughly 20 floors of offices served by six elevators. If, for whatever inane reason, I exchange small talk with a fellow elevator passenger on any particuar day, am I obligated to say "hello" to them should I ever again find myself in an elevator with them? What if I see them at lunch across the street?

In my head I am hearing the voice of Larry David not only asking these questions, but answering them as well. Lucky me.

Listened to Hysteria by Def Leppard on the way to work this morning. Awesome.

9 Comments:

At 12 April, 2006 08:08, Blogger Unknown said...

1) No tip is better than a lame tip.
2) Being polite is always the better way to go. She's got a great situation there, she can deal with the waves of people throughout the day.
3) I say a head nod is OK, but if they say hello first, I'd say hello back.

Def Leppard: awesome.

 
At 12 April, 2006 10:56, Blogger stella said...

1) Agreed. Assuming you usually go to the same place, you don't want to be know as the guy who dumps your spare change into the tip jar. You want to be the guy who occasionally puts a dollar bill in the tip jar. Keep 'em guessing.

2) I say no waves unless you're feeling particularly jovial. It's not your job to make her feel good.

3) For the day that you chit chat in the elevator, you are obligated to politely acknowledge each other throughout the day. Next day, no obligation.

 
At 12 April, 2006 12:43, Blogger Unknown said...

Stella's answer to #3 is much better, screw mine.

 
At 12 April, 2006 12:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you all ate to many paint chips as a child .....

 
At 12 April, 2006 13:05, Blogger h.justin said...

I believe you meant to type:

"I think you all ate too many paint chips as children."

No judgment.

 
At 12 April, 2006 13:10, Blogger Unknown said...

sometimes words are hard

 
At 12 April, 2006 13:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was referring only to you, but I didn't want to be mean Mr. English teacher :)

 
At 12 April, 2006 13:34, Blogger b-lo said...

Anonymous must be from the South. He/She meant "I think Ya'll ate too many paint chips as a child." Is that you Kellie Pickler? I voted for you last night.

 
At 12 April, 2006 15:02, Blogger b-lo said...

Did you once say that "Style Guy" said the level of service required to pour a cup of coffee does not necessitate a tip?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home