Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Back to the Future

Last year I recorded the Charlie Brown Christmas special on my DVR. I didn't watch it until this year. Mind you, that special first aired in 1965. And in that special, Charlie Brown laments the "commercialization of Christmas." They were complaining about that clear back in 1965?!

Also, in watching older sitcoms, say from the late 60's and early 70's, I've noticed that they complain about high fat content of foods and the dangers of sun exposure and tanning. I thought these were new concerns. I didn't concern myself with the fat content of foods until 1992. As for sun exposure, I'm still struggling with accepting that the sun is bad for my skin and may cause skin cancer. (Okay, okay - it does cause skin cancer and premature aging and a host of other evils.)

So what was news for me is actually, technically old news.

I just bored myself typing that observation.

I'm disenchanted with old school Christmas songs this year. Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Barbra Streisand, Nat King Cole, and Barbra Streisand aren't working for me. So I went on-lnie and downloaded a slew of hip indie Christmas songs - some original, some are just new bands doing the old standards. I recommend these websites if you are looking to update your Christmas music:

http://whokilledthemixtape.blogspot.com/
http://noisefortoaster.blogspot.com/

Today's Song: Come On! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance, Sufjan Stevens

1 Comments:

At 12 December, 2006 11:31, Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, I'm touched. I'm tough though and will survive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home