Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tagging is the way to go.

I got this Holiday quiz from Leah:

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I'd be lying if I said "I hate eggnog lattes."

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrapped in brown postage wrap.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Both.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, I don't know anyone that does, sadly.

5. When do you put your decorations up? No set schedule.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Rhodes rolls.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Our annual Christmas Eve party.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My dad took me to McDonalds in Antelope Square in Layton. He told me that Santa isn't an actual person, but rather his spirit lives in all our hearts. And, "If you ruin Santa Claus for your little sister, you will never see a Christmas present again." I wonder why that memory is so poignant.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I try to - very hard. I always did when I was little.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I pulled it out of the box, arranged the branches, and plugged it in.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? DREAD IT, HATE IT, HATE IT (in the valley)! I don't mind it in the mountains where I can appreciate the aesthetic of it.

12. Can you ice skate? Not as well as I roller skate.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A go-cart that I received Christmas 1983. I'd wanted one desperately for years.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Sugar cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to my grandparents house for scones on Christmas morning.

17. What tops your tree? Dust?

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I like both, but I am better at one than the other.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - it's both melancholy and hopeful.

In other news, I finished my Christmas shopping last night. For the most part anyway. And I decided to finish it at the downtown Nordstrom - for old time's sake. Crossroads Plaza used to be ground zero for Utah Christmas shopping. But last night, it was just really quiet and kind of sad. I got really nostalgic thinking it was the last year I would buy presents in that store in that mall.

Here's a funny Nordstrom at Crossroads at Christmas story:

In 1991, I asked for Cool Water cologne. I guess I was a little ahead of the curve because it wasn't readily available or even well known in Utah yet. My mom went to the Nordstrom fragrance counter at Crossroads and asked the sales clerk, "Do you have 'Cool Water?'" The clerk looked at her funny and said, "There's a drinking fountain on level 2."

Today's Song: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, James Taylor

p.s. I inadvertently failed to tag VT (assuming she is still around) and Leah in yesterday's post. So please, post your seven songs.

2 Comments:

At 21 December, 2006 15:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so glad someone responded to my Merry Christmas Survey.

 
At 28 December, 2006 09:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late for the dance, are we still dancing? Irregardless...

Moralito-Julio Iglesias- I gave my mum and dad tickets for Christmas- This is such a great song--best line, "In the end, everything's alright..."

Believe - Bill Janovitz - This song reminds me that Red Sox Spring Training is around the corner...

Say it Right-Nelly Furtado--Favourite newish song.

Tougher Than the Rest and Trapped--Bruce Springsteen--I have listened to both of these songs pretty consistently for the last thirteen or so years. I wonder what that means...

The Seed - The Roots-No one is cooler than The Roots.

Suddenly I See-KT Turnstall-Very inspirational in an MTV kind of way.

Romeo & Juliet-Dire Straits-One of my all time favourite songs (recently rediscovered).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home