Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Forgive me if you find this insensitive,

for it is not intended as such.

But note to random shooters:

Come on, the mall? Seriously. Not a sprawling mall like South Towne or Fashion Place, but a little boutique mall like Trolley Square? That's right up there with schools and libraries. Especially when your primary target area includes Bath and Body Works, Williams Sonoma, and Cabin Fever!

Why not Cabela's? Or REI? Or Gallensons on 200 South? Somewhere where the shoppers (a good number of whom have wilderness survival skills) have at least a fighting chance against your senseless random violence. You get more of a challenge, they get a chance. You obviously want to go down anyway. Sick-o.

___________________________________________________

So I re-read that post and I am leaving it up even though it is a little insensitive. I just want it known that I do not condone random shootings in any retail environment. Even Home Depot.

I read the eyewitnesses' stories and I am just so impressed by people. The people that automatically dial 911 without even hesitating. I would probably spend at least 30 seconds organizing what I was supposed to say to the operator. And the Basket Loft store worker that locked the doors, turned out the lights, and herded her shoppers into a back room. That is quick, heroic thinking. And that poor Bath & Body Works employee. She's helped me before and she's really nice (not like most of the overly aggressive and pushy workers there - but that's a subject for another post). It really is encouraging to see how people can react so quickly and with such intelligence in the face of such random, unexpected tragedy. One of my worst fears is that I would react completely wrong or worse, not react at all. Just stand there. Blinking.

Today's Song: I Don't Like Mondays, Tori Amos

4 Comments:

At 13 February, 2007 12:56, Blogger stella said...

I'm glad you left up your post. A little insensitive, I suppose, but it reminds me of a comedic bit by Carlos Mencia where he talked about why a hijacker wouldn't dare try to hijack a Southwest airlines flight. Those passengers would totally take down any attempt by a wacko. Kinda along the same lines, I guess. Pick a nice place where people won't immediately jump on your ass.

I can't get over how they keep calling Cabin Fever a "gift shop" on the news.

I'm with you on people's reactions. I think I would just keep saying, "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck" over and over again. The thought to actually pick up my phone and do something probably wouldn't occur.

Nice song.

 
At 13 February, 2007 14:01, Blogger Sarah Bellum said...

i didn't find it insensitive. it made me laugh, and after last night that's a bonus.

 
At 13 February, 2007 18:08, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what is insensitive, the salt lake tribune posting a picture of "a body" on their website. I guess that is acceptable now because I remember seeing dead bodies on the coverage of New Orleans flooding. That is just wrong.

When I heard the news story this morning, I pictured a sprawling, suburban mega-mall would be the setting of the crime. NOT trolley square. It does somehow make it worse that it happened there in my mind. Can't explain it or justify it, it just is.

 
At 13 February, 2007 19:25, Blogger Lincoln said...

A few things:

First, please don't encourage the crazies to go to REI. I love that place and I don't want to battle gun-toting madmen when I go there.

Second, your post was appropriate. Like sarahbellum said, humor is a good thing. It helps people deal. Excellent post.

Third, the body photo in the Trib. The same pic was all over the internet today. As a journalist, I usually defend the media. But I agree with Deana. It shouldn't have been shown. Not because I thought it was too graphic (I didn't), but because it could be insensitive to the victim's family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home