Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Tale as Old as Time

Every year when the Oscar nominations are announced, I have a problem. Invariably, I will have to re-view one of the film's nominated for Best Picture. And it is always for the same reason: I don't remember much about the first viewing. This year, the picture is Little Miss Sunshine. I saw it in the summer. It was playing at the Regency Theater at Trolley Square. I went to The Pub on a friday afternoon, sat on the patio, had chips, salsa, and pitchers. And then I decided to see the movie. I remember the general plot. I remember the characters. And I remember some key scenes. But I do not remember why the film would be nominated for Best Picture. And I don't remember how the film made me feel - though admittedly, I was probably feeling a-okay under the circumstances. So, I guess I will be PPV'ing that film this month.

Has anyone seen Half Nelson? I really wanted to see it when it was in the theater, but didn't get around to it. It got a great review in the New Yorker.

The story of the crazy astronaut kills me. "Police said Nowak drove 900 miles, donned a disguise and was armed with a BB gun and pepper spray when she confronted a woman she believed was a competitor for the affections of Navy Cmdr. William Oefelein, an unmarried fellow astronaut." That's the kind of woman I like to date. She knows what she wants, and she goes for it.

There used to be a two-story Wendy's on Main Street in Salt Lake City. I believe it was where the Big City Soup is located now. I had forgotten about that Wendy's until the other day when I was trying to remember 1980's downtown in my head. I loved that Wendy's.

Question for Aunt/Kelly: Do you remember Watney's? It was on Third South - next to the Bel Air Tavern? It's just a parking lot now.

Today's Song: What You Won't Do For Love, Bobby Caldwell

5 Comments:

At 06 February, 2007 13:44, Blogger Sara Z. said...

The astronaut thing totally sounds like a storyline from The Young & The Restless.

 
At 06 February, 2007 13:48, Blogger Unknown said...

Boys make me dumb, but boys make the astronaut CRAZY.

 
At 06 February, 2007 14:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watney's sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't remember anything about it. I do remember the two story Wendy's on Main street. I loved it too, along with the Utah Theatre where Kelly and I viewed one of the worst movies ever...Back to the Beach with Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon in 1987. Why did we see it? Well, we had already seen everything else that was playing.

 
At 06 February, 2007 20:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie,
You know the only reason we went that day is because we wanted popcorn. I am sure it was overcast and we were hungover. Oh...the good ole days.

 
At 11 February, 2007 08:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That woman may know what she wants, but she sounds CRA-ZEE. She wore depends so she wouldn't have to stop for a bathroom break. Are you kidding me?! You could do much better than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home