Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sundancing in SLC

Still tired from a long weekend, I planned to go home after work yesterday and catch up on laundry and sleep. But then I remembered that I hadn't yet seen any Sundance films. I have six vouchers that can be exchanged for six tickets and I didn't want them to go to waste. I wasn't quite certain about how to exchange them. I tend not to pay to much attention to the fine details of Sundance - preferring instead to try and talk my way into events rather than waiting in cold, long lines. I decided, though, to give it a go. So I looked at the films playing at the Broadway, Tower, and Rose Wagner, and decided to try and see Starting Out In The Evening and Joshua. I got into both without (a) having to stand in the cold, (b) wait in line, or - most importantly - (c) having to arrive at the theater hours ahead of the start time.

The films were good (though I doubt either will be buzzed about). I enjoyed the first one because of the cast: Lauren Ambrose, Lilli Taylor, and Frank Langella. I found it to be a quietly intense, superbly realized drama about erudite New Yorkers who tug on each other's vulnerabilities as they strive to actualize individual promise at different stages of life.* The main character is an aging author and I thought Sara Z. would really enjoy the character and his struggles with the writing process. The second movie, Joshua, was like The Omen meets Rosemary's Baby meets, and this was my own opinion, Problem Child. I wanted to mention the latter film to the director in the Q and A following the screening, but I am not that bold (or rude). Joshua addresses one of the most difficult decisions anyone has to make: whether to have a child. It is a life altering decision that carries profound consequences even if everying goes right; but what if it goes horribly wrong?*

I ended the night by giving a couple of drunks a ride home. Neither of which were me.

Also, Jake Paltrow, Gwyneth's brother, has a film in the festival titled The Good Night. Principal cast includes his sister, Penelope Cruz, Danny DeVito and MARTIN FREEMAN aka TIM from the BRITISH Office. I don't think he is in town, but I would have liked to have seen both him and the film.

In other film news: The Oscars. I have not seen Babel or Letters From Iwo Jima. I plan to see the former, but do I have to see the latter too? Has anyone? I think most of the categories are easy to pick this year.

Today's Song: Noah's Dove, 10,000 Maniacs

* Alright, so obviously I plagiarized the official Sundance film guide.

9 Comments:

At 24 January, 2007 11:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't see Letters from Iwo Jima. I don't read my movies.

 
At 24 January, 2007 12:35, Blogger Sarah Bellum said...

babel was great. long, but then i say that about anything over an hour. add.

 
At 24 January, 2007 13:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, "Tim" Canterbury! If he were to turn up at Sundance, I should hope he'd tell the ladies to "form an orderly queue." And, I would hope that he'd be wearing his Hat FM. He's probably so over it, but I'm not.

 
At 24 January, 2007 13:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, not anonymous-- drr.

 
At 24 January, 2007 14:01, Blogger stella said...

vt - I would love to be told by Tim to "form an orderly queue." What is it with Brit-speak? If some American guy barked to "get in line, ladies", I'd be so damn irritated.

 
At 24 January, 2007 14:12, Blogger stella said...

Also, I guess I just should've posted this on sclup's blog, but I'm an anonymous over there and sometime that is creepy. But, you totally need to get your shoes over to Master Shoe Repair on Hwy 89 in North Salt Lake. The guy is really nice and will totally put a bad-ass shine on your shoes after the repair. Reduce, Reuse, Repair!

 
At 24 January, 2007 14:21, Blogger h.justin said...

Stella, I'll tell you what is creepy: yesterday I thought that I needed to ask you for a shoe repair recommendation. I figured you'd used that place on Main Street in Bountiful before. Where is your guy - next to Bird World? Truth be told, I spend alot more time in North Salt Lake than Sugarhouse and Cottonwood and so Master Shoe is a more convenient option. The shoes that need fixing are essentially brand new - but I have been broken for well over a year.

 
At 24 January, 2007 14:22, Blogger h.justin said...

The shoes have been brokend. THE SHOES, not me. Though an argument could be made . . .

 
At 26 January, 2007 11:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like movies involving portraits of the writing process, even if they are rarely accurate. (Adaptation is probably the most realistic, sadly.)

I'm seeing WAITRESS Saturday night here in SLC. I just heard the sad backstory about the director getting bludgeoned to death by a janitor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home