Thursday, January 25, 2007

Still Sundancing in SLC - with Sport to Boot

Last night B-Lo took me to the Jazz game - VIP style. Dinner in the sponsor room and courtside seats. And free beer. It pays to know marketing directors.

Mid-way through the game, I remembered that Grace is Gone was screening at 9:30pm at Rose Wagner Theater. John Cusack is Stanley Phillips, a patriot father of two, who is overwhelmed when he gets news that his wife, Grace, has been killed in the Iraq war. Though distraught himself, he tries to rally the strength to tell his two young daughters. Instead, he bundles them in the car and heads out on a roadtrip to their favourite amusement park. Inside he knows what he needs to do. But first he must first learn who his daughters are before he can begin helping them overcome the tragedy.*

The film was made for 2.5 million and Harvey Weinstein bought it very early on in the festival for about 4 million, I believe. Accordingly, the film garnered much buzz and the SLC screening at Rose Wagner was packed.

B-Lo and I were denied tickets. But I wanted to see the film, so we did. How did we get in? That's not important. What is important? The movie is 89 minutes long. And everyone in the theater cried for at least 80 of those.

There was a Q and A with the writer and director following the screening. He said his goal was to put his view of the war "out there" without making the film polarizing. He did a really good job.

In lighter news: On the OC, Michael Nouri plays Dr. Roberts - Summer's dad. Summer's mother has never been portrayed/revealed. Nouri was the male lead in Flashdance. I read on-line that some fans are hoping Jennifer Beals will appear and play Summer's mother in the finale. Thus making Summer the child of Flashdance.

Some pictures from "last days of work":










Today's Song: Maybe Not, Cat Power (from Grace is Gone)

*Again, obviously plagiarized.

5 Comments:

At 25 January, 2007 10:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I've got big plans for my last day at this job. Can't wait! (Not that this job is coming to an end in the forseeable future, but I've got plans just in case.)

 
At 25 January, 2007 12:59, Blogger stella said...

Come, now. It absolutely is important how you got in. Did you do it Jedd Wilson-style and demand entrance? Or did you just walk in like you knew what you were doing? That's worked off and on for me.

 
At 25 January, 2007 13:09, Blogger h.justin said...

Stella, I think it sufficient to say that I did not have to use the following phrases: "This is OUTRAGREOUS!" or "Get me your manager!"

 
At 25 January, 2007 15:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please, please, please make summer a flashdance love child. I'm heartsick it got cancelled, but feel this would console me... a little.

 
At 26 January, 2007 23:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! Those pictures gave me such good ideas. And with what I do for a living...oh man....the possibilities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home